Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #11 
yogurt081010

Thank you to all of your replies.
I guess I'm not really a bad owner at all.

@Myates:
Yes, all of the LFS here in the Philippines don't use a heater for their betta, even in the cold season, the temperature here in my area doesn't go down below 70. :)

@Myates and @aokashi:
Just a quick question, I don't have a siphon, does that mean I need to clean the gravel? And if so, how often?

@aokashi:
Heres a picture of the tank. Sorry if its kinda blurry, thats the best I can get with my cellphone

yogurt081010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #12 
Laki

You should still siphon through his gravel with a vacuum or turkey baster to get out any sunken food or poop.

As for attison's pro, I have some and they're a lot smaller pellets than my other brands. My boys can easily eat 6-7 pellets.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #13 
Shadyr

Any owner who cares enough to make sure they are doing the right things is already (or well on the way!) to being a good owner

Your tank is cute - I like those plants, look a bit like my hornwort.

You don't *have* to have a cycled tank! Your water changes and live plants will keep the water clean for your betta. I only have one male that seems to like current, so most are in unfiltered tanks.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #14 
yogurt081010

@Shaky:
Guess my betta is one of the lucky ones that have a good owner. My plants are all Cabomba or Fanwort.

@Laki:
As I stated for like two times, I don't have a siphon. I just want to know if I need to clean the gravel, how often should I clean it?
Old 05-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #15 
Onigiri Chan

I think you're a great owner!
Onigiri Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #16 
Myates

It is a cute tank, and it makes me happy seeing someone research and ask questions :) Shows you are a responsible pet owner.

And I wouldn't worry about the heater too much then.. these fish are pretty hardy.. heck, for many decades millions of them have lived years in just small bowls with little water changes. So living in a tropical climate and having no heater isn't going to hurt!

As for siphon.. if you can find a small tube of sorts that would work too..
With live plants you don't want to be doing 100% water changes, so a siphon is a must. Any kind of tubing would work.. 2-3 times a month is all that is needed, as the plants will use some of the waste as fertilizer. But there will still be waste in there, so it's good to clean it out every so often.
Just make sure the tube is smaller though - don't want to remove the plants when siphoning it out.. so want to be able to go around them with a bit of ease.
50% water change once a week is all that is needed with live plants in the mix.

If you use a tube rather than an aquarium siphon, make sure the water you siphon out goes into a bucket, as I'm sure you'll pick up some of the gravel with it and you don't want that going into a sink - a tube can be tricky to use.. so I would recommend a gravel siphon first if you can get it.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #17 
yogurt081010

@Onigiri Chan:
Thank you. I'm so happy that even though I'm just a newbie, my works are far from being cruel.

@Myates:
Yeah right, cute and simple. I don't want much decoration in my tank, don't want a crowded one with just a little amount of water in it.

Just a question, can I take out the gravel when I'm cleaning it? my fanworts are not planted directly in the gravel, it's anchored by a piece of a filter media. Will taking out the gravel hurt the plant?
Old 05-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #18 
Laki

I'm sorry! I don't mean to be redundant.

You can remove the gravel if you wish but honestly, it's more work and frigging around than you need. Not only that, beneficial bacteria live and thrive in the gravel which is good for the tank and plant's health. With the siphon just swirling around the gravel gets it as clean as you need it. :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote