Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #1 
fishwish

Arrow How much life do you think my betta has

Hi new to the forum. I have a solid color red betta and I'm trying to beat my sister's record in terms of life span of the fish.
She got an adult betta at her job in Feb 2002. It died in on a Saturday in March 2007. She had an advantage though. The water she used was filtered tap water. And it was fed betta pellets and thawed blood worms on occasion. When it turned old, it lived for another year but you can tell it was old because it would spend most of its time lying down at the bottom of the bowl and when fed, it would swim up to get the food and then sink back down to the bottom. Even it's color was fading and its lips were rough-looking...it was oldddddddd!

So far my betta is 2 and a half years old and I'm using treated tap water and feeding him the same diet. I added in an extra into his diet - live food from the local pet store - fresh black worms (for this feeding I wash the worms thoroughly, grab four of them and wash them, and feed the betta - the live black worms seems to be his favorite food - at times when the black worms sink to the botom of the tank, I watch him while he hunts to find it (that way I don't have to take out the worm myself because I know not to leave live food in the tank with the fish!).

I don't store the live worms so I release the rest to a local lake where other wild fish gobble them up - they love them too).

My betta is not showing signs of age, but activity has slowed.
How much time he has left?

BTW Rip to my other betta who jumped out of his tank and into the sink while the garbage disposal was on. I tried to save him but he slipped into the drain and was churned up alive!
fishwish is offline   Reply With Quote