Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #1 
Mar

How long will this take to heal? (pic heavy)

So I recently rescued a rosetailHM betta, Moon.

His dorsal fin was pretty much missing when I first bought him, so the good news is, is that his dorsal fin is healing back very nicely :) Very happy by the progress.

HOWEVER. I bought 2 ADFs to share his tank, and it seems they teared his beautiful fins overnight. I was enraged, and moved the frogs to another 5 gallon tank, with Solus, who's more aggressive and flares at the frogs and wouldn't let the ADFs get near him. Moon is very gentle and has never flared at the frogs and often swims next to them. That is probably why he ended up getting hurt.

So these are the photos.

Before:

After:

Excuse my language, but I'm extremely pissed off. Just as he was healing, those frogs decided to rip up his beautiful fins. i'm very upset that they'll never return to their former glory and that I have to wait months probably for them to heal.

My question is, does anyone know how long it will take for his fins to heal?

I HATE looking at him like this, and it makes me want to cry. He's so sweet and gentle and I'm just so upset that this has happened to him, just as he was recovering. UGH.

Thanks for any replies, any suggestions would be a great help!!
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Each Betta is different and it also changes on your water type/parameters etc. For my HM it's been a month since he took a chomp out of his tail and it's still growing back, I can see new growth pretty much everyday but it's been a slow process (and of course an Ich scare didn't help either)

But with clean water and Stress Coat it will help. If he's a fast healer then I would say a minimum of about two months. But this is just based on my experience with my HM and his tail biting problem, it will probably take longer though because of the extensive damage that's been done.

I'm so sorry that this happened to your beautiful fishy :( It looks super close to the body so I'd just keep a very close eye and watch out for infections.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #3 
Mar

Thanks a bunch.

Yep, he came down with an infection; ich. God its just proving so hard to save/help this Betta. I've never had such a challenge. I really want to help him.

Ich on top of everything just really tipped me over the edge. He deserves better than this.

I'm currently treating him for ich now. Gonna go get my spare adjustable heater so that I can turn it up to around 84-86F
I'm leaning more towards 86. any opinions on this?
Old 05-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

But you are giving him better! If he didn't go home with you, who knows where he would have ended up in what sorts of conditions!

Yup, those temps would be great for killing ich, anything over 84 is great. Also if you don't have any ich meds you can also use 3 teaspoons per gallon, pre-dissolve it :) That will help to keep other infections off as well.

Don't worry though, he'll pull through this! Especially with your care!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:29 AM   #5 
Mar

thanks so much. Really means a lot to me. Been a super crazy week, and a sick Betta on top of it just kills me!

Thanks for the help and support :)
Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I hear you! It's my finals week so I'm running around like crazy too!!

And you are very welcome! <3
Old 05-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #7 
Mar

Lol finals week :/ must really be stressful!
We have finals next week =D

Looks like he's doing better. Paleness is going away, he's more active and acting normally. There's a streak of red in his fin (blood?) from what I hear, its normal for recovering bettas and water changes should suffice.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh great!! Good to hear :D

Hows the ich doing and stuff?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #9 
bniebetta

Like lilnaugrim said, it depends on the betta. My male CT is STILL growing his tail back after destroying it at walmart, and he has bee with me for months. On the other hand, one of my sorority girls got an entire chunk ripped out of her fin on day one of the sorority, and it was pretty much grown back in a week. The params in my sorority are better than my boys five gallon and it is planted, so that may have effected the grow back rate.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #10 
Mar

Yep, definitely depends on the fish.

His ich is now fully gone, and his recovery has been slow.
But now it's really quickening, and I'm able to see the parts of his fins
growing back!
I'll post pictures up once they heal up even more.

i hope your betta is doing better too bniebetta.