Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #1 
WitchlingMinerva

Unhappy I'm not sure what to do.

I got home from college today and didn't see Ciel in his tank. I started panicking. After I removed the filter I saw something under the rocks. I moved the rocks and Ciel swam up and started darting around. I don't know how he got under those rocks. Now that he's not all stressed I can see that he has a tear in his anal fin and it looks like he has red marks on his face. I need advice. Is there something I can give him to help him heal? Any pictures I get won't be good enough quality to show you the red marks on his face. My phone gets better quality pictures than my mom's fancy camera.
WitchlingMinerva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #2 
Kithy

The best thing to do is keep the water warm and clean. With a cut or tear it can very easily turn into fin rot if the water isn't within good parameters.

If you have stress coat you can add that if you feel necessary. I think it has aloe to help with healing. IAL (indian almond leaf) is good as well. But above anything is warm and clean water.

GL ^^
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #3 
WitchlingMinerva

I defiantly need to go shopping. I'm going to need a heater, gravel(instead on the rocks), and probably some stress coat just in case. Thank you.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #4 
Kithy

Of course. Keep in mind you don't necessarily need gravel if you don't want it. You can do bare bottom which is great if you're having some bloat issues and need to watch for poop. With gravel or any kind of substrate you want to make sure to get either a gravel vac or even a turkey baster to clean any waste out.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #5 
WitchlingMinerva

I need something on the bottom to hold down the air stone. I just don't want Ciel to end up stuck under those rocks again... Maybe I could get smaller rocks...
Old 05-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #6 
Kithy

http://www.walmart.com/ip/23704509

I use this in my tanks. I like the natural look of it and my fish being red and purple/red/bluish it really looks great with them.

If your airstone is one of those that has the plastic on the bottom you could use aquarium sealant to glue it to a rock or something. I used to anchor mine underneath decor like my skull before I got gravel.

It's all a matter of preferences. Gravel requires a little extra work in cleaning but you'd need to siphon out waste regardless if you have substrate or not. Go with what you like looking at! No matter what anyone says you are the one who has to look at your tank :3
Old 05-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #7 
WitchlingMinerva

Thank you for all your help. I feel a lot better now.