Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #1 
Campbell

Is 86 far to high?

Today I turned down the air up stairs, not thinking. My 5 gallon got up to 86 degrees. I have since unplugged the heater and turned up the air (my room got up to 81 ). Should I be concerned about my fish? He seems okay... Also should I try and drop the temp more slowly?

Oh, I just had to tell some one this... Today I was at my local fish store and noticed an employee telling a woman that a koi would be fine long term in a 20 gallon. When the employee walked away for a second I when up to her and said "Mam, I wouldn't trust everything you hear from this store. Koi's that size need about 200 gallon." She seemed thankful and even asked if I knew any place more knowledgeable. That was about the time that the manager asked me to leave the store because I was 'chasing away his customers'. Turns out the employee had heard what I said and went to get the manager. But at the end of the day I didn't care because the woman didn't buy the poor fish.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #2 
ZanZan

I have read in many different places, that they can live in water anywhere from 74-90 degrees >> So I can't immagine it's much of a bother.

and lol @ the koi story
ZanZan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think the temp going up to 86 hurt your fish. It wasn't for that long, was it? Shame on you for chasing away customers! lol Just teasing you.:) Too bad petstore people don't want to hear the truth. Anything to make a sale.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #4 
IonBaller07

Haha good for you,

I had my heater set at 82 (it has the numbers on the filter) and for some reason it got up to 86 today, stupid heater. I just turned the number to 79 and it dropped down to 83 in about an hour, I figured that was good enough.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #5 
Red Betta

haha way to go.
Red Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:27 PM   #6 
AngelicScars

Mine goes up to 86 sometimes and I was getting concerned myself. I have it preset to around 78. For the most part it stays around 80 though.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I set mine at 78 also. I turned mine off for summer but if the a/c gets too chilly for them, I'll turn them back on. I don't want my babies freezing their little fins off. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:32 AM   #8 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
Today I turned down the air up stairs, not thinking. My 5 gallon got up to 86 degrees. I have since unplugged the heater and turned up the air (my room got up to 81 ). Should I be concerned about my fish? He seems okay... Also should I try and drop the temp more slowly?
Bettas will be fine with it. They are tropical species and most part of Asia particularly Southeast has stiffling hot temperature, hotter than 86 degrees.

Quote:
Oh, I just had to tell some one this... Today I was at my local fish store and noticed an employee telling a woman that a koi would be fine long term in a 20 gallon. When the employee walked away for a second I when up to her and said "Mam, I wouldn't trust everything you hear from this store. Koi's that size need about 200 gallon." She seemed thankful and even asked if I knew any place more knowledgeable. That was about the time that the manager asked me to leave the store because I was 'chasing away his customers'. Turns out the employee had heard what I said and went to get the manager. But at the end of the day I didn't care because the woman didn't buy the poor fish.
Disturbing and nosy employees.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:00 AM   #9 

My own thoughts are steady temp of 78 degrees. Higher temps= higher metabolisim ,which sometimes leads to shortened lifespans of some fishes.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #10 
MADxMAC771

I have also read all over that they can withstand temps as high as the high 80s. However, I have noticed with my fish that they dont seem to "like" the high temperatures. If my tank gets much higher than 82ish my fish sometimes exhibit similar behavior to a fish in a cold tank. Somewhat sluggish, less active and and other things. Not sure if this is just my fish being picky or a sign of over heating. Just something I noticed.
MADxMAC771 is offline   Reply With Quote