Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #251 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonxxkidd View Post
I just noticed that both my female amanos are carrying! They are so cute, and they look SO FAT now haha!
must be a desperate male in there >.>
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #252 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
I suggest starting with Cherries. Much more forgiving than Crystals. However I believe they have similar requirements.
no RCS (Red Cherry) is easier and less fussy than red crystal in terms of pH, temp and the calcium level of the water. also crystal's comfy temp might not be exactly compatiable with betta since they prefer slightly cooler temp on the max end than RCS.

RCS:
http://www.planetinverts.com/Red%20Cherry%20Shrimp.html

Crystal:
http://www.planetinverts.com/Crystal...%20Shrimp.html
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #253 
FishyFishy89

I believe one of my Amanos came with eggs when I got them....or was it the ghost shrimp? Was probly the ghost shrimp. They didn't last long cause Spike gobbled em up. they were tiny.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #254 
carbonxxkidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
must be a desperate male in there >.>
I've got two males and two females, so you're probably right. So sad that they won't survive though!
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #255 
Viva

I got four more amanos a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure they're all females...one of them is HUGE! The female I had before that had eggs no longer has them. I'm kinda sad I couldn't raise any :(
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #256 
Nicci Lu

I just introduced 4 amanos to a 20L with a betta and 6 kuhli loaches. The amanos are such plucky little critters! I thought I'd share the story here...

I could tell the first thought that went through D'Artagnan's (the betta in question) mind when he saw them. A feast!! He swooped in low, checking them out, getting right in their faces. It was a Mexican stand-off. Shrimp and betta both doing circles so that their heads were always facing each other. The amanos, who are all named Jacques, whipped D'Artagnan's face with their antennae. You don't frighten us, betta pig dog! The posturing continued. I was ready to break up any fray that might occur. But my intervention was never necessary. Eventually D'Artagnan slunk off- yes, slunk. One of the Jacques followed D'Artagnan to the edge of the coconut shell, where the encounter took place, as he swam off. I swear, I heard the Jacques call out, Go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

D'Artagnan has since ignored the shrimp, choosing to act as if it were entirely his choice to pretend they don't exist. Bettas remind me of cats sometimes.

Fetchez la vache!
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #257 
ao
TFK Moderator

Hahahaha, so cute :)
Old 05-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #258 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci Lu View Post
I just introduced 4 amanos to a 20L with a betta and 6 kuhli loaches. The amanos are such plucky little critters! I thought I'd share the story here...

I could tell the first thought that went through D'Artagnan's (the betta in question) mind when he saw them. A feast!! He swooped in low, checking them out, getting right in their faces. It was a Mexican stand-off. Shrimp and betta both doing circles so that their heads were always facing each other. The amanos, who are all named Jacques, whipped D'Artagnan's face with their antennae. You don't frighten us, betta pig dog! The posturing continued. I was ready to break up any fray that might occur. But my intervention was never necessary. Eventually D'Artagnan slunk off- yes, slunk. One of the Jacques followed D'Artagnan to the edge of the coconut shell, where the encounter took place, as he swam off. I swear, I heard the Jacques call out, Go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

D'Artagnan has since ignored the shrimp, choosing to act as if it were entirely his choice to pretend they don't exist. Bettas remind me of cats sometimes.

Fetchez la vache!
cute, actually amanos can fend for themselves pretty well, especially when they get to the 1.5" adult size and not afraid of the betta. mine used to hide out in the dirfwood and became bolder and even defensive when they got older and bigger.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #259 
FishyFishy89

When I 1st put my amanos in the tank, Spike also thought they were food. He learned quick they weren't. Both shrimps have lunged at Spike atleast once ;)
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #260 
ao
TFK Moderator

they're pretty mellow shrimp~ until they're provoked. haha