Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #11 
Kithy

Warm, clean water is the best medicine for fin rot. AQ salt is good as well or stress coat. AQ salt can be used for I think up to 10 days. Make sure to dissolve completely in separate water before putting into your betta's tank.

The thing with pet stores, particularly chains is that if they give you the right stuff and the right information they probably won't make money. For example, the filters you buy come with those blue pads. The box says to change them every two weeks or something. You're not really supposed to change them at all and if you do you're likely to throw your tank cycle off. So it's not entirely the pet store's fault, it's just money and business. Unfortunately whereas we see a live animal who deserves a good life most stores only see $$$.

Best of luck ^^ Keep us all updated on your progress!
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #12 
fiky95

It seems very mild.:) Try the stress coat and clean, warm water first. If you can't see any improvement, start the aq. salt treatement.:) I suggest getting the aq. salt anyway even if you won't want to use it now, because it's always good to have it on hand in case you EVER need it and I'm hoping your guy will stay with us for quite some time.;) Good luck! :) xxx
fiky95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #13 
AmyMarie

Ginger (my son's betta) is being treated

So we did a 50% water change with stress coat and aquarium salts dissolved in the new water. I checked the ammonia levels last night and it was .25, which was why we did the 50% change instead of 25%. Unfortunately, the pet store was completely out of heaters for our tank size (3 gal). She thinks they should be in sometime next week. Is there anything else I should do in the meantime for treating Ginger? Or is that it? And thanks everyone for your help!
AmyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #14 
Minnieservis

I would say continue what you're doing and just keep up on the water changes, and try to keep the temperature around 80 if possible. Good luck to you and Ginger, and please keep us updated!
Minnieservis is offline   Reply With Quote