Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #11 
chajewski

Sorry for the bad lighting and the weird reflections, I was using a lamp to light up the tank better. Thanks again for any insight!!!
chajewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #12 
mushumouse

yikes... i have to say i have no idea what that is. geez, it does look like it's coming off him somehow. i don't think that's what velvet looks like. maybe a bacterial infection? in absence of confirmation i would stick with the aq salt + 100% changes for a few days and see if it helps... you could maybe try pming one of the mods here if no one else sees your thread, sakura8 knows just about everything.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #13 
Tikibirds

Velvet would look like he is covered in pollen or gold dust..
Like this

Have you looked at this thread??
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086

Last edited by Tikibirds; 05-09-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #14 
Sakura8

Hi chajewski and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry your guy is sick. It sounds like he may have a possible bacterial infection called columnaris; this is sometimes mistaken for a fungus because it's fuzzy and fungusy-like. Have you seen him do any darting or rubbing?

Now, you said he was a double halfmoon. In the pic, he looks like he is a short-tailed betta, a plakat? Is that correct, or has he had some really bad fin rot too?

For treatment, I would first lower the temp if you can to about 76 F. If this is columnaris, it thrives in the heat, which is why bettas get it so often. For conservative treatment, I'd suggest 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon and a 30-40% water change every three days, redosing the same amount of salt that you take out. So if you remove 3 gallons of water, add back in 3 tsps of salt. For best results, try to predissolve the salt in a little bit of tank water before adding.

I hope this helps and if not, we can try a more aggressive treatment. Keep us updated.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #15 
Luimeril

he looks like a she to me...

and that temp is VERY high. x: lower it slowly, as Sakura said. i think Sakura has everything down though.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:05 AM   #16 
Sakura8

For me, it's hard to tell if it's male or female unless I see the ventrals. There's a definite posibility though.

High temps would've helped if it was ich or velvet but it's not so best to get the temps down as Luimeril said.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #17 
chajewski

Hi everyone and thank you!! This is my first betta, and I am only going by what he was labeled as at the pet store. Before he got sick his fins seemed to be getting the half moon look that I saw in pictures, and as for male or female I didn't even think to double check. I will research some to see if I can find out.
Good news is that he didn't seem to get any worse over night, but he didn't improve either. I am going to lower the temp now and do a water change right after I eat. Also no I have not seem him dart around or rub against anything. Ever since yesterday's water change he mainly hangs out on his leaf bed and then swims around every so often.
I have another question though, is it possible that he does not like the really bright LED light. He seems a little more active when it is off, so I was curious.
Thank you again!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #18 
Sakura8

Hi chajewski, it's possible he doesn't like the bright light, yes. You can try to diffuse the light using floating plants; if you don't want to use live plants, just take a few plastic ones and float them.

Since he's not rubbing or darting, I'm going to rule out external parasites for now so go with the treatment I talked about earlier. Keep us updated.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #19 
chajewski

update

Okay, I tried to block out the light which he seems to like, I am adding 2 new photos though, because now he seems to be getting raised fuzziness on his body. However even though he still looks horrible, he seems to be improving activity wise.
I did a 100% water change this morning just so I could re-start the aquarium salt, and will continue with the 30-40% now, the temp is also down to 77 right now, but it's getting cooler outside with the weather change by me so it should hit the target of 76. Also good news, I got him to eat a little bit of brine shrimp earlier also.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #20 
chajewski

Again sorry about the picture quality. With the first picture I was trying to capture the fuzzy patch near the back of him. It looks pretty circular in the picture, the second picture is his other side with a couple different fuzzy spots. I know in the picture they look white, but that is just the lighting. Up close they are still a brownish color.