Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #81 
Sakura8

I'm glad to hear Psusennes is back on the mend.

On the one hand, I'm really glad to hear that Ramesses is interested in food because that shows he's got a will to live. But on the other hand, if he's not pooping. You can leave him in epsom salts for as long as necessary so there's no harm there. Maybe . . . let's see if his latest meal stimulates anything. If not, then I'm honestly not sure what can be done or what the problem might be.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #82 
RillC

I saw some whitish bits in the tank the last couple of days and got my hopes up a bit. Looks like the epsom salt is finally working. There is poop in the tank now so I hope Ramesses will be able to get clear of the bloating. He flared at Psusennes last night. Their tanks are right next to each other. I am going out of town tomorrow for a couple days so I have to walk my landlord through doing the water change and how much epsom salt to use. He's been awesome about feeding the fish when I'm gone for a while, but he hasn't had to do water changes since I got the 5.5 gallon.
RillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #83 
RillC

Well, here's an update. Ramesses is still highly bloated and not much is happening. He is still on epsom salt, but I believe my fish sitter used a 1/8 tsp measure while I was gone instead of the 1/2 tsp I had left out for that. Psusennes appears to have new growth, but is a bit uninterested in doing much. He is twitchy and does not eat a full meal, but just picks at a pellet.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #84 
Sakura8

RillC, can you get a picture of Ramesses? His bloat may be a tumor. :(

A bit worrisome about Psusennes not wanting to eat. :/ If necessary, a 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon for a few days but beyond that, I'm reluctant to advise meds for him without more concrete symptoms.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #85 
RillC

Psusennes did chomp down his supper though. He's a bit sluggish though and is spending lots of time at the bottom. I've got a picture of him to start and then a few of Ramesses.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #86 
Sakura8

Hmm, no, probably not a tumor and he's getting faint pineconing too. :(

With Ramesses, I'd suggest trying an antiparasite med such as General Cure if we haven't already. If we have . . . then maybe try it again. But if he's bloated because he has a blockage somewhere in his intestinal tract, then I honestly don't know what more we can try short of surgery. I'd maintain the high dose of epsom salts and if he will eat, maybe try something higher fiber such as brine shrimp or daphnia.

For Psusennes, my biggest concern is that the fin rot came too close to his body and went internal. I do see some really encouraging growth at the front of his anal fin but that blackish part near the rear is worrying me. Keep an eye on him for a day or two, maybe add the 1 tsp of AQ salt but if the sluggishness continues we may want to try him back on Kanaplex for 3 doses in case the rot bacteria DID go internal.

Gagh, why do betta fish have to get sick so easily? :(
Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #87 
RillC

Silverfang brought over what anti-parasite meds she had. There's Metroplex, Tetra Lifeguard all in one, and Jungle Parasite Clear. Will one of those work or should I get a different one. We haven't tried anti-parasite for him yet. Psusennes didn't have that tuck in his fin after the medicines were finished so I don't know how that happened. It might have been while I was out of town.

I wouldn't say these two boys got sick that easily, considering that it is the first illness in more than 1.5 years for Psusennes and only the second time in over 2 years for Ramesses. I get sick more often than that. The thing here is it takes a longer time for them to fully recover and they are more prone to relapses.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #88 
Sakura8

Metroplex. Definitely the metroplex. Thank you Silverfang!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #89 
RillC

Ramesses is heading for his second dose of Metroplex tonight, but there is no change yet. He has been getting at most 1 pellet per day through this as I am unsure how much is safe to give him. Psusennes perked up after the dose of aq salt and is back on patrol in the tank, eagerly hunting for any sign of food and lunging at it when he finds it.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #90 
Sakura8

You can try soaking the pellet in medicated water before feeding to get even more medicine into his system.