Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #1 
JadeAngel

Community or sorority suggestions for 10g?

So on an adventurous trip back to my home down 40 miles from here, my tire blew out, I got stuck for the night, and I was given a ride back to where I now live to search down tires, which apparently no one seems to have in my size currently. So my car is stuck in my best friends drive way....

with....

a 10g glass tank that my best friend gave me Ok, seriously, after the tire ordeal, I obviously opted NOT to tell my hubby about the tank.... yet. It has a lighted hood and internal filter and even a few decorations (really cute bamboo one too!). She was visiting from florida and dug this out of her dad's house.

SO! It's stuck in my car which is stuck far away... for another night at least. But when this tire ordeal is over, and my hubby cools his jets (yeah, like HE was the one stranded and running around like a chicken with it's head cut off!? lol. He was home, I went with my daughter... so it was just her and me. She makes great stranded company though!) I will pop the news of a new tank on him. I don't for see that going well, but it was free, and all I have to buy is a heater, gravel and fish

ANYWAY, sorry, long 2 days... lots of rambling.

What are your suggestions for stocking this tank?

I am not sure if I want to do a sorority tank or just a community tank.

So if I do a sorority tank, how many girls can I put in a 10g? and how many, if any, bottom feeders or other fish can go in too?

If I do a regular community tank, 1 male betta plus how many other fish or other aquatic creatures would you recommend and of what kind? I know 10g is still not that grandiose, and eventually I'll get a 30g, but this gives me something to put in the foyer.

Oh, and skip over tropical fish all together, because not having to buy a heater would be a selling point on the hubby what cold water fish would you recommend for that size?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

In a 10 gallon if you don't want a heater, you could perhaps do golden medaka. I'm pretty sure the temperature can get quite low in their native home, and this is what Seriouslyfish says on the matter:

Quote:
Temperature: This temperate to subtropical species is subject to seasonal temperature fluctuations in nature and is most comfortable between 16 – 22 C. Permanent exposure to warm conditions is likely to result in a shortened lifespan and in many countries/well-insulated homes it is best-maintained without artificial heating year-round.
I had some and they are very underrated fish. Mine were quite personable and the way they spawn is also quite interesting.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #3 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
In a 10 gallon if you don't want a heater, you could perhaps do golden medaka. I'm pretty sure the temperature can get quite low in their native home, and this is what Seriouslyfish says on the matter:

I had some and they are very underrated fish. Mine were quite personable and the way they spawn is also quite interesting.
I want a heater It's just a passing thought if the hubby gets annoyed about yet another tank.

How many females can go in a 10g?

I'm open to the idea of many mixes, and not just bettas, I can do without any bettas. But I would prefer them n.n

I've seen other tropical fish that might be neat for a change too. But I need ideas and limits on numbers
Old 05-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I would go with a sorority all the way! If you have only ever kept males you are definatly in for a treat, they show a whole other side of the species. You could do four females or maybe five (if you planted and filtered it). You could add shrimp and not much else.

There's not much you could do in the way of a community in a ten gallon, except maybe a trio of endlers, a couple guppies, 4 Pygmy cories (all of those are including a male betta).

White clouds come to mind for a cold water ten gallon.

Sorry you had to go through that ordeal!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #5 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I would go with a sorority all the way! If you have only ever kept males you are definatly in for a treat, they show a whole other side of the species. You could do four females or maybe five (if you planted and filtered it). You could add shrimp and not much else.

There's not much you could do in the way of a community in a ten gallon, except maybe a trio of endlers, a couple guppies, 4 Pygmy cories (all of those are including a male betta).

White clouds come to mind for a cold water ten gallon.

Sorry you had to go through that ordeal!
scratched off the cold water idea, it just seems that very few cold water are suitable for a smaller tank like 10g.

I went to the walmart and local pet store just to see fish... and I think I'm leaning towards a few.
Sinice guppies and male betta can get a little bit mean to each other, I might just pass up putting bettas in this tank all together for now.

The ones I found that I really liked were...

dwarf gourami,
fancy guppies
glofish
and this funky little elephant nose

Could I keep 1 male dwarf gourami, let's say... 3 fancy male guppies, the elphant nose guy, and a few golfish? It has a filter. I won't be getting them for a while as the hubby said I have to paly for any I buy... so I have to put somethings for sale, lol :)

Besides I need time to cycle it anyway.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Do you mean to keep these in a 10 gallon?

Glofish are modified zebra danio I believe so they really require tanks in the 15-20 gallon range. They are extremely active and fast-moving fish and need the space to swim around in.

If you mean these Elephant nose fish, I think they are actually quite difficult to keep and would not be suitable for your tank based on their full size alone.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...emus-petersii/

I would be wary of dwarf gouramis just because I hear they are prone to a specific disease that effects quite a lot of them.

Have you thought about honey gouramis instead? They are very beautiful little fish.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #7 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Do you mean to keep these in a 10 gallon?

Glofish are modified zebra danio I believe so they really require tanks in the 15-20 gallon range. They are extremely active and fast-moving fish and need the space to swim around in.

If you mean these Elephant nose fish, I think they are actually quite difficult to keep and would not be suitable for your tank based on their full size alone.

Gnathonemus petersii (Elephantnose Fish) — Seriously Fish

I would be wary of dwarf gouramis just because I hear they are prone to a specific disease that effects quite a lot of them.

Have you thought about honey gouramis instead? They are very beautiful little fish.
I don't really like the honeys, what I like about the dwarf is just their unique striped pattern. I also like paradise fish, but they seem to be the more aggressive gourami out there.

I am going for colorful and vibrant :) I dont like duller colors like solid orange, browns, blacks, etc.

Only thing that still has me thinking about sorority is how much easier they are to feed as opposed to a community tank, each with it's own feeding necessity n.n'''
Old 05-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #8 
Otterfun

I'd stay away from community with fancy guppies, they are prone to columnaris. Sorority is a hit and miss in terms of being one big happy family.. i still like betta sorority because they have personality.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #9 
Elsewhere

I would totally go for the sorority! I've only had mine up and running for a month and love it ^.^ Though sometimes it makes me want to tear my hair out... ;) One thing to make sure of is extra space, though- I have a little blind girl that didn't make it in the 30g so she lives in my extra 5g and the other 10 are in the big tank. I have room to keep them all temporarily if need be... Always something to think of!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #10 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsewhere View Post
I would totally go for the sorority! I've only had mine up and running for a month and love it ^.^ Though sometimes it makes me want to tear my hair out... ;) One thing to make sure of is extra space, though- I have a little blind girl that didn't make it in the 30g so she lives in my extra 5g and the other 10 are in the big tank. I have room to keep them all temporarily if need be... Always something to think of!
That's one thing I couldn't do. If worse came to worse, I could divide the 5g tank of my incredibly inactive guy, if it's ok to put a male and female in a divided tank.

But my hubby got irritated when I popped a surprise tank on him as it is, another tank (even 2g) would just cause a fight, and I love my fish but they're not worth marital issues