Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #1 
cowboy

Aquarium

Hi,

I'm looking at getting my guy out of a bowl and into a tank. I'm looking at a 2 to 2.5 gallon kit (comes with a filter) I've researched the fluval spec 2 but have read the filter is too powerful. I would prefer glass and something you can buy in Canada. A 5 gallon is just too large for my place. Any thoughts?

Thanks
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #2 
Mr Degausser

Fluval Spec 2's are great tanks. You can always baffle the filter if the current is too strong.

I tend to put my set-ups together piece by piece, buying everything individually.

There are lots of 2 gallon glass tanks that are sold by themselves (not as a kit), that are pretty cheap.

And honestly, if you're doing a 2 gallon tank, you might not even need a filter as long as you keep up with water changes?
Mr Degausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #3 
SnowySurface

I would buy the 2.5 gallon kit and either baffle the filter with aquarium sponge or buy a different filter that is gentler. Aquarium sponge is pretty cheap (in the US at least XD) so it may be more cost effective to baffle the original filter. The way you baffle a filter is block the intake and outtake points enough to slow the water flow but not stop it completely. Since most 2.5g kits come with canister filters, I'll give you a few tips on how to baffle that type of filter. :)

If the intake is a tube, you can either shove aquarium sponge into the tube or cut slits into a block of sponge and shove the tube into the slit. Both ways have worked for me. If the intake is a few slits, then you cover them with sponge held onto the filter with clean rubber bands. Do not try to clean a dirty rubber band. If it isn't fresh from a bag, you can't use it. You can also try putting the sponge inside the filter behind the slits, but that didn't work well for me when I did it. That's why I switched to keeping the sponge on the outside of intake slits. If the flow is still too strong, you can also baffle the outtake but stuffing the spout with sponge and holding it in place with rubber bands.

If baffling the intake and outtake doesn't work, then you need to buy a new filter with slower flow. But I've only had trouble baffling HoB filters since they are bigger and a bit more powerful by design. You should be fine as long as it's a canister type. :)
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #4 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Degausser View Post
Fluval Spec 2's are great tanks. You can always baffle the filter if the current is too strong.

I tend to put my set-ups together piece by piece, buying everything individually.

There are lots of 2 gallon glass tanks that are sold by themselves (not as a kit), that are pretty cheap.

And honestly, if you're doing a 2 gallon tank, you might not even need a filter as long as you keep up with water changes?
I like to use filters for 2.5-3 gallon tanks because I find the protein film that forms on the surface of the water annoying. Tetra also makes a really cheap filter for 2.5-3g tanks that are pretty cheap in the US and lasts for years. The Whisper 3i filter is so small it doesn't need baffling in a 1 gallon tank. But I don't know if it's available or cheap in Canada.

Using a filter in a 2-3g set up is up to personal preference. You wouldn't be wrong either way.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #5 
Myates

Agree.. a 2g doesn't need a filter. I would just recommend doing 1 100% water change every 5 days if you go that route - or 1 50% and 1 100% per week if you choose.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #6 
isochronism

I began with Fluval Spec V as I needed a thin footprint. I liked it so much that I got a Spec 2, and then another Spec 2. There is a good Fluval Spec thread here that you may like to read. It does discuss the filter/pump issue in detail.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #7 
cowboy

You guys are great but what about heater

You guys are great, thank you for the advice. I've only had one other betta and he didn't last long, probably my inexperience.

I have seen empty tanks I will look into them as well. If I didn't get a filter would he be ok still to have a heater. It's a must for the winter in my house.

Ps I didn't know what baffling was, thank you for the in depth instructions
Old 05-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #8 
SnowySurface

As far as heaters go, I like Hydor's slime line. A link for their 7.5 watt model is below.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Hydor_Sli...FIHTEH-vi.html

Once the heater is adjustable, I'm not as loyal to one brand. I've used both the Hydor 50watt and Aquerion 50watt adjustable heaters without any over or under heating. But those two are obviously in larger tanks. ^_^;

If you can get an adjustable heater, you can get away with 25watt in a 2.5 gallon. But if the heater is not adjustable, only get a 7.5 watt or 15watt heater. Anything non-adjustable under 7.5watt will underheat the tank and anything over 15watt will over heat.

I only use non-adjustable heaters in QT becaues it's temporary. I prefer an adjustable heater for a permanent tank since I will be using it for years on end. I'm not sure what is available in Canada, but ZooMedic also makes a 7.5watt heater. I suggested hydor first because I've used it in the past without problems and I know it's available on line.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #9 
isochronism

I have had two different small un-adjustable and the temperature was never stable. I do have a 1 gallon glass bowl with the small round heater under gravel, and will suffice if I ever need a QT tank, but thats it.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #10 
cowboy

Thanks for all the great advice. I am well equipped to start looking at new homes.

Ps. I was stupid enough to listen to the guy in the pet store last night. Buy a clam its a must he says. Thinking I'm helping my boy I buy the clam. I luckily decided to google clams and do a little research. That and calling my pet store I decided not to use him. So much harm for such a little clam.

Tags
tank