Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #1 
Fenghuang

Question about soil?

Gf wants to convert her tanks to soil-based NPTs, but she does not know what type of soil to use. She found this and was wondering if it would be aquarium safe. It is organic, but we aren't sure about the ingredients in it. Can anyone help us out? Thanks.

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:38 AM   #2 
Mashiro

Looks like it has manure in it.

Don't use it.

You want to use the Miracle Gro Organic Potting MIX not SOIL.
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #3 
peachii

We used the Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Soil and it's done fine in all of our tanks. It's been in there about 3 months now and all fish are healthy and happy. It is covered with a fine layer of pool sand then the gravel. Periodically stick holes in it to make sure it is healthy and not impacted to let the oxygen in. Oldfishlady has a thread somewhere that we got the tips from to use it.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #4 
peachii

I was trying to see the difference between soil and mix, this is some of the ingredients of the mix.
Quote:
Benefits
Contains a blend of all-natural, organic ingredients: sphagnum peat moss and composted bark fines Natural fertilizers provide both quick- and slow-release feeding to get plants off to a fast start and keep them growing Delivers twice the growth of ordinary potting soil naturally
We do have a high PH in our tap water and the potting mix has peat moss in it. So if you have a high PH this would probably be great. Peat moss is recommended as a natural solution to bringing down high PH.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #5 
Deanna01

Gah! I just yesterday set my first NPT up using the MG Organic Garden Soil. I couldn't find MG Organic Potting Mix and thought it must be the same. :-/

Do I really need to take it all apart and start over? I so much hope not....
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #6 
peachii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna01 View Post
Gah! I just yesterday set my first NPT up using the MG Organic Garden Soil. I couldn't find MG Organic Potting Mix and thought it must be the same. :-/

Do I really need to take it all apart and start over? I so much hope not....
Our tanks are really doing fine with the soil, that's why i was looking to see what the difference was. We have had absolutely no issues at all with the soil and it's been 3 or 4 months since we did most of our tanks with it.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #7 
Deanna01

Peachii, mine says "Garden Soil" and says it has manure in it. Did yours say it had manure? If it said "Potting," I'm wondering if it didn't.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #8 
Mashiro

Manure is bad news. I was told to stay away from anything that contained it.
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #9 
peachii

http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/mir...d70308/7800019

That is the picture of exactly what we used and it has done absolutely fine. Plants and fish are healthy as can be. They are 100% organic, so are safe for the tanks. (Funny enough I asked my boyfriend the same question when we were starting our tanks, and he would never, ever put anything in our tanks that would hurt our fish.)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=114575 this is the link to Oldfishlady's thread on how to do a planted soil tank and she uses all kinds of natural, home, local, and other soils mixed together.

I wouldn't think you need to change your tank at all. Our fish have been absolutely fine and plants growing like crazy. I won't be changing our tanks, i was just interested in the difference.

Send Oldfishlady a PM if you are truly concerned but like I said, i don't think it is an issue at all.

Last edited by peachii; 05-09-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #10 
Deanna01

Hm. I'm really glad to hear you're not having an issue, even after months. I may try to go with it, and just be extremely careful checking the water parameters to make sure there isn't a problem.