Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #21 
DragonGirl

Ok I ordered the kanaplex but it won't get here for 5-6 days. Ghost seemed really confused when I fed him the bloodworms so I figured I'd have a better shot at getting him to eat the pellets. I soaked the new pellets in water with a packet of dissolved Triple Sulfa, like that other person did. Can I use this same water tomorrow or is it better to throw it out and use another packet tomorrow? He went crazy over them you'd think they were the most delicious thing he'd ever seen. I fed him 5 hopefully it wasn't too much. I googled how much other people feed and 5 seemed reasonable. The first one he kind of destroyed in his excitement so he ended up with 4 1/2 but I haven't seen him spit any out.

He's still active and friendly so I'm hopeful that he'll get better.

Just out of curiosity, is Triple Sulfa harmful to inverts? I ask because I had a few pest snails hitchhike on the anacharis I moved to the 2.5 gallon and now I see 2 dead on the bottom. It doesn't list copper as an ingredient so is there something else in it that's bad for them.
DragonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #22 
DragonGirl

Yesterday was day 4 of the treatment and he's definitely going to need a second round. Should I wait a day or two or go ahead and start the second round when I do his WC today?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #23 
Nicci Lu

As far as I know, it isn't harmful to inverts. In fact, usually when the snails in question are pest snails, even if the medicine is supposed to be harmful to inverts, the little buggers manage to survive.

I don't know the active life of triple sulfa- it sounds like it's only good for 24 hours. I would mix a new batch every 24 hours.

How is the red on his body, not his fins, looking?
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #24 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonGirl View Post
Yesterday was day 4 of the treatment and he's definitely going to need a second round. Should I wait a day or two or go ahead and start the second round when I do his WC today?
What does the package say? Usually, it will give instructions for doing a second round. Unless it says otherwise, I would do the second round without a break in between. Is there any improvement on his body?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #25 
DragonGirl

The package just says "Treatment may be repeated, if necessary." so I guess that means without a break?

Actually, I was going to say I haven't seen any improvement but when I looked again just now I can see just a tiny bit. There was one spot on each side of his body that was beginning to make its way from where his tail begins towards the center of his body and both of them have receded. It's not much but hopefully it's a good sign.

Since there's an improvement, even a small one, I think I'm going to restart the treatment today and continue to feed him food soaked in it as well because there don't seem to be any adverse effects from it. I'll also continue making betta tea, he likes it a lot.

I can't find anything about how long it's active so I'll just re-mix for his food every day. I also googled away and found someone who used Triple Sulfa on their betta for 12 days without problems (not that I plan to use it for that long) so Ghost should be fine.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #26 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonGirl View Post
Actually, I was going to say I haven't seen any improvement but when I looked again just now I can see just a tiny bit. There was one spot on each side of his body that was beginning to make its way from where his tail begins towards the center of his body and both of them have receded. It's not much but hopefully it's a good sign.
Yay! Any improvement is a great sign, especially on his body- that's the most worrisome area. Keep up the good work.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #27 
DragonGirl

Yesterday Ghost started going downhill. He ate what I offered him but spit everything out pretty fast. It looks ok eating-wise today I don't see any spit out but he's no longer accepting medicated pellets. I'm going to try medicating frozen bloodworms again tomorrow those went over pretty well on Thursday. His septicemia isn't looking any better and I'm starting to think I imagined the improvement I saw. He's also gotten less active and spends more time hiding in the house. I can't tell if he's depressed or if it's the sickness but he just hasn't been himself.

He also has what appears to be a dent on the top of his head between his eyes and his gills what does that mean?
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #28 
Nicci Lu

If he won't take the medicated bloodworms, then give him some non-medicated food so he gets some nutrition. In fact, try giving him non-medicated food for a couple feedings and see if he perks up. The Triple Sulfa is still in his water, too, right?

I don't know what the dent could be. He might actually have a bump above his gills that is making it appear indented. But I'm really not sure, I'm sorry... Hopefully someone else might recognize it.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #29 
DragonGirl

Today is Ghost's second day off meds and he's started eating again. He would eat non medicated pellets and medicated bloodworms on the last two days but yesterday (his first day off Triple Sulfa) he would only eat 2 pellets. Today he's eating much better.

The kanaplex hasn't gotten here yet but when it does I'll start him on that. I don't see really any improvement in his finrot or septicemia so I'm hoping the kanaplex will do the trick. It should be here today or tomorrow. Do you think 2 days is enough of a break between medicines or should I wait longer?
Old 05-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #30 
Nicci Lu

Has his behavior perked up any since the meds stopped? It sounds like maybe it has, if his appetite is getting better again. If so, I would give him 3 days break to give his immune system some time to kick in. See how he's doing on the third day- if still no improvement with the red streaks, then start the kanaplex on the fourth day.