Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #1 
countyrd419

My Intro

Good evening from Orlando, FL or Oviedo, FL to be exact. I live in Oviedo, FL which is a suburb of "The City Beautiful" aka Orlando, FL. My pet betta fish Ocean recently died. I got another male crown-tail betta-fish from my local
Petsmart. His name is [color="Blue"]Cobalt.

He hasn't built his bubble nest yet. I will post pictures as soon as this happens.

Cobalt appears bigger in the picture I recently posted. He is small and I am sure will grow a little bit more.

The only problem I am having is that I don't see my smileys appearing or text color changing as I am typing this intro. I need some help from the wonderful bettafish.com community.

Take care.
Attached Images

countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome so nice to have you join the forum.

Did you click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of the posting box ? I never used the colors so I trying some to see if I can get them to work. I do use the smily`s a lot and they work just by clicking on them, I hope this helps and if not I am sure some members can help you with that. Enjoy !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Welcome to the forum! You have a very beautiful crowntail boy. Does he have a heater, and is his tank at least a gallon?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #4 
eaturbyfill

Hello and welcome to the forum.
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #5 
countyrd419

Question New Betta-Fish

Does my beta-fish need a heater? I live in Florida and we have heat for most of the year? I don't know if the bowl is a gallon but Cobalt has plenty of room to swim and he loves his little stone house.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #6 
eaturbyfill

The more room a Betta has, the better. Also, the bigger the tank, the less frequent the water changes need to be. So, an upgrade might be something you would want to consider.

Another reason for an upgrade would actually be a heater, because it is hard to keep a small amount of water at a stable temperature.

Heaters are wonderful for Betta fish, and allow them to thrive. Bettas do best in about 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Water temperature is a little colder than air temperature, so your house would have to be at 80 degrees. Even if your house is that hot, it would still be advisable to get a heater. Regardless of climate, indoor temperatures fluctuate, which isn't good for the fish. I highly recommend an adjustable heater because they are easier to control.

Happy Betta keeping!
Old 05-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #7 
countyrd419

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I bought a plastic gallon bowl and a heater which didn't work with the roundness of the bowl. I am planning to go to PetSmart tomorrow to see what else the store has available for Cobalt (my male Betta Fish).
Old 05-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #8 
eaturbyfill

This is a little late, but if you want to stick with the bowl, they make heaters just for bowls like this one:

Zoo Med Betta Therm Mini Size Betta Bowl Heater - Heaters & Accessories - Fish - PetSmart

I have never used them before, so I don't know how good they would be. 2.5 gallon aquariums are pretty cheap.