Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #11 
copperarabian

@jaysee
I'm not saying your method is wrong, it's just different than what I would do. We all have out own methods and I prefer the extra security that salt provides. I had one very bad experiance with ick and I no longer like taking chances.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #12 
jaysee
Reference Team

Taking chances.... It's okay that you don't trust what I'm saying You, and everyone else for that matter, should do whatever makes you comfortable.

Ich is the unquestionably easiest ailment to cure in all of fish keeping - it's important to be proficient at curing it, as it is also the most common ailment. I know it's scary for people new to the hobby, or to people that just haven't kept that many fish to have become comfortable with it yet, but once you've cured it several times you don't even blink an eye when you see it.

So don't dread ich, and don't get upset when you see it. Rather, rejoice! Be happy to have the opportunity to learn how to deal with it, because if you stay in the hobby, you will see it again at some point Also, you will never lose a fish to it. I know I seem flippant about ich, but that's only because it is a nonevent. You too, will have such confidence...in time
jaysee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #13 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Taking chances.... It's okay that you don't trust what I'm saying You, and everyone else for that matter, should do whatever makes you comfortable.

Ich is the unquestionably easiest ailment to cure in all of fish keeping - it's important to be proficient at curing it, as it is also the most common ailment. I know it's scary for people new to the hobby, or to people that just haven't kept that many fish to have become comfortable with it yet, but once you've cured it several times you don't even blink an eye when you see it.

So don't dread ich, and don't get upset when you see it. Rather, rejoice! Be happy to have the opportunity to learn how to deal with it, because if you stay in the hobby, you will see it again at some point Also, you will never lose a fish to it. I know I seem flippant about ich, but that's only because it is a nonevent. You too, will have such confidence...in time
I trust my own experiences I've been keeping fish since I was in 3rd grade when I was given a 20g, but 2011 is when I learned how to really give the good care.
Fish can, and do die of ick. I had one of my favorite fish die, after having her 6+ years and raising her from a egg. I fought hard to keep her alive but no matter what I did she eventually died. She should have lived 15+ years and I was devastated to see her wither away.

I agree that ick is a less concerning disease that is usually easy to treat as long as people take care of their water quality, when I see a fish with it I barely blink an eye. Only time I really see ick is in a new fish that is stressed by the sudden change in enviroment, and bettas who are annoyingly high maintenance.

When I was working at petsmart I was always testing water for people who had fish that were sick with ick. Nearly all the water had very high nitrates. It seems bettas are one of the common species who get ick more often even when they have fairly good water quality.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #14 
jaysee
Reference Team

Yeah, I started doing math in the first grade, but it wasn't till I got into calculus that I realized all I had done up to that point was just arithmetic.

The only way ich kills is if it is not treated in a timely manner, and then not treated correctly. If its handled properly, the fish will not die. Not may not - WILL not. Of course, there are a myriad of other things that can kill a fish, WHILE it has ich. Ich can be a secondary issue.

Sounds like you had a rough time with you fish. It must have had more wrong with it than just ich, and that had to have been what killed it. Ich does not cause a fish to whither away, nor does it take a while to kill. It should not be a battle. An aquarium is a closed loop, so once the fish is infested there is not much time left. the fish in the video i posted probably had about 3 days left to live, at the time i began treatment. ich also does not come back, unless its been reintroduced. If after "curing" the fish, the ich comes back and there is no possibility of a reintroduction, then it was never cured in the first place. While the treatment controlled the symptoms, it failed to eradicate the parasite. That's why it is so important to finish the 2 week treatment and not cut it short because all the spots are gone after one week.

Sent from Petguide.com App
Old 05-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #15 
elpenajr

Wooohooo!

Day 4 - Treatment Method:
  • Increased Temp (87)
  • AQ Salt (1 tsp per gallon).
  • 100% water change on: (5/9, 5/10)

No sign of ick for two days!
elpenajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #16 
elpenajr

ICH Completely Gone: Day 5

No sign of ICH in 3 days.
100% Water Change
1 tsp of AQ Salt.
Took temps down to 81 degrees.

Khal Drogo is back in business. Showing great colors; eating like a true dothtraki! He is swimming around and is very happy!!!!

Thank you so much for your advice!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #17 
jaysee
Reference Team

Glad to hear it. Any reason you lowered the temp?

Old 05-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #18 
elpenajr

I brought all my water levels back to normal operation condition. I did not want to stress the my Betta and his tank mate any more than need be. Day 8 and still no sign of ICH. Khal Drogo is more active than ever before! :)
Old 05-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #19 
jaysee
Reference Team

Lets hope it stays that way. I hope cutting the treatment short doesn't come back to bite you. Like with meds, you finish taking then even though you feel better. That's how I see it.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #20 
elpenajr

I'll make sure to update the post if it does happen again. I monitor the tank extremely closely; any sign of recurrence will be noted immediately.