Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #21 
Mahsfish

Ok so once they are in the oatmeal you can just leave them in it and the culture will stay going? Or do you need to do anything special after that?
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #22 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You add about a tsp of the established culture to the oats/yeast/water mix, stir it in, and then leave it. They will start crawling up the sides in about a week.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #23 
Mahsfish

Ok and once you do this you can just leave them? Or do you have to keep doing this every now and then to get more?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #24 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yup you have to reculture them every few weeks when they slow down/get to smelly.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #25 
Mahsfish

Ok great thanks matt
Old 05-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #26 
Mahsfish

So there needs to be holes for air circulation correct?
Old 05-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #27 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yup. They are like any other living thing, they need to exchange gases and the yeast releases co2 which would suffocate them without air circulation. But make em pinholes, and poke them from the inside of the lid out so fruit flys don't get in.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #28 
justmel

Getting ready to start my cultures now. I store these in a dark place, right? does temp matter?
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #29 
Myates

I find in a dim spot (not direct light) and very warm gets them growing. Sometimes I'll toss a clear plastic grocery bag loosely on top of my worm basket to help keep them even a bit more warmer and I end up with a ton each morning.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #30 
justmel

Thank you Myates! I got starter cultures a week ago & wasn't sure I was doing things right, so I used your plastic bag trick and they popped right up.

ok, I'm very new to this. Have had my works started for a week now and they seem to be growing well and now I have a few questions.
  1. My fry are 9 weeks old, so they do not need these worms anymore. They love the NSL pellets and frozen treats they get daily. What should I do with my worms until I need them? Keep them in the warm, dim place I have them and re-culture as needed or is there another way to keep them when not is use for awhile?
  2. I have walter and micro worms right now. When I have another batch of fry will these worms, along with bbs be enough or should I look into banana worms or vinegar eels?
  3. Final question. Do I need to feed them? I know they are eating the oatmeal and yeast in the culture, but should I freshen it up with yeast & water every now and then or are they fine until they need re-cultured?
  4. Got another one. The smell. I've read repeatedly about how they stink. So far They don't stink to me. The smell makes me think of warm sour dough bread. Is this normal?

Last edited by justmel; 05-15-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: new question
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote