Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #31 
Vikki81207

I just don't know with the sorority. I'm scared that if I put in a few females with my male, that it will upset him. He seems pretty calm, it almost seems like he knows me because when I stare at him, he'll come up close to me and look. He doesn't flare or anything. But when anyone else in the house comes close to the tank, he flares up and backs up.
I don't know. I guess I'll have to see. Do I want females?? Or something simple like cory cats. lol it's so confusing.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:01 PM   #32 
dramaqueen
Banned

If you want to do a sorority, you could do it in a separate tank. You can never tell how your male will react until you put something in there.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #33 
Haeclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
If you want to do a sorority, you could do it in a separate tank. You can never tell how your male will react until you put something in there.
this is very true.

If you decide to do the divider rout...just be advised that if not set up properly, they CAN and will still get to the other side. The top of the divider needs to touch the tank lid, so there is no possible way they can jump over.

I say do whatever your heart suggests. I know if I took peoples advise seriously here all the time, then I would not have the tank setup I have now in which has had no betta casualties, or life threatening situations. The only time I see them 'act up' is when I slack on my water changes, and the levels become off theyre norm. This makes them grumpy and easily agitated.

Bettas were my thing, so I stuck with them and got more. Id say it depends on what YOUR most interested in..then go from there, If you really want another betta...it will never subside. So Id sudjest to just try it.
If it dosent work out, then the divider should work as well...as long as its properly settup. You can buy one from a pet store, or save money and make one using two spines from project covers [glued onto tank] and a Plastic needlepoint canvas, sold at craft stores [great also for creating lids or covering holes in existing hoods].

I was a "noob" fish owner knowing absolutely nothing about fish when I got my first male VT betta. After a few months, I got him a larger home and a girlfriend, as I had told him I would when he was recovering from finrot. When I first got her, I had a divider in their 10 gal. tank to help them get use to each other safely, however, I did not permatly glue it in, nor made sure it touched the top / lid of my tank [there was approx. 2" of gap between top of divider and tank lid].
After almost two weeks, they had "cracked the code" of my divider, and started getting into each others sides.
The first day they did this, they switched sides. The second they were in same side. Since they had been in approx a 5 gallon area together for 12+ hours w/o harm, figured they were fine, took divider out, and they have been in love and inseperable ever since. Now when I do seperate them, they both become depresses, and inactive.

I enjoyed them so much, I decided to get the other 3 females I was originally going to get with Red Petite Mermaid, but at the decided not to incase they infact didnt get along.
Of corse there was a little pecking and chasing when I first added them, as its natural when theyre espablishing a pecking order. Wasnt long thouh that things settled down. My tank was overpopulated with guppies [given to me from old boss], so I think that helped with the adjustment, as there was so many fish...too much distraction. I have since removed / given away many of the guppies, and the community still seems to be doing well.

But keep in mind, "Betta personality varies. Some bettas are shy and easily stressed. Others are aggressive and outgoing." This means that while some tank settups, such as mine are successful, not all of them always are. In thouse cases, tank dividers or seperate tanks are the only answer...but you'll never know unless you try ;D
key seems to be the size of the tank, the decorations within, and supervising them to watch for any signs of a betta that is infact '
aggressive and outgoing'
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #34 
Haeclark

Here is a good thing for you / beginners I found regarding Betta's behaviors. Some info I didnt know myself until I found this site. Some I agree with, some I dont...but interesting non the less:

Behavior:
"Bettas are wonderful fish with a lot of personality. Betta personality varies. Some bettas are shy and easily stressed. Others are aggressive and outgoing.

Male bettas blow bubblenests. Some do so more than others. It is not a sign of happiness or sadness whether the betta blows a bubblenest or not. Male bettas blow bubblenests to keep their eggs in until they hatch, and it is a reproductive instinct for them to do so. In tanks with a current, they are less likely to be able to blow bubblenests, as the current will break up the nest if they try to make one.

Bettas often patrol the tank. They will hang out in the plants for a while, then do a quick swim around the whole tank, checking for intruders. Some bettas can't handle being in a community tank, even with the few betta-compatible tankmates, because they get so stressed and exhausted patrolling the tank. Every betta is different and some are better suited to having tankmates than others.

Bettas, particularly males, flare when confronted with other bettas or their own reflection. They spread their fins and gill plates out. Particularly aggressive bettas will flare at anything, including your face, a pencil, or your coffee mug. Flaring some each day is healthy for your betta, and keeps them entertained. Usually, flaring is not a problem. Some bettas may "blow" their fins, flaring so much that they tear them. If they do so, keep their water especially clean and add a pinch of pre-dissolved aquarium salt to help their fins heal. Other bettas may flare so much that they exhaust themselves. If this is the case, care should be made to reduce stimulus that causes the betta to flare.

Some bettas, unfortunately, become tail-biters. Bettas bite for a variety of reasons, including stress, boredom, to relieve the drag of their fins, and for reasons we don't understand. It is important to distinguish between tail-biting and a disease like tail rot when a betta's fins start disappearing. Biters typically lose large sections of tail suddenly overnight, and there are bite-shaped chunks missing. An attempt should be made to determine the cause of the biting. For bettas biting out of stress, care should be made to keep the betta in a quiet part of the house, reduce stimulus, and keep the environment as stable as possible. For boredom biters, there are a variety of things to do to enrich the betta's environment. There is little that can be done for bettas who bite to reduce the drag of their fins (halfmoons, deltas and other long-finned bettas are particularly prone to this), although reducing current in the water may help if the tank is filtered or aerated.
Bettas are extremely aggressive toward their own species. Male bettas can not be kept with another betta, ever. They will fight to the death.
Female bettas can only be kept with other female bettas if a variety of conditions are met. They must be kept in groups of four or more in an appropriately sized tank that has a lot of plants (silk or live) and a lot of hiding places. Keeping more than four female bettas together helps diffuse the aggression. A sorority set-up is not natural for the bettas, though convenient for the keepers, and they must be monitored closely. Some female bettas are just too aggressive to be kept in a sorority. It is important to keep an eye on such a set-up to make sure the bettas are safe and happy. Only experienced betta keepers should attempt a sorority. (I personally do not advocate sorority tanks.) "

Last edited by aunt kymmie; 06-03-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #35 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have gotten some great advice on this forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:08 PM   #36 
Vikki81207

Wow thanks, that helps alot. I'm stuck between getting a female for him, or just putting him with cory cats. Everything I just read was great. So I'll keep that all in mind. I already have notes in my room, lol. Just to help out when I'm planning the tank.
Everything you guys are saying and helping me with, thanks. I appreciate it. =D
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:39 PM   #37 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Our forum also has a care sheet, in case anyone missed it:

http://www.fishforum.com/betta-fish-...are-faq-20058/
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #38 
Nightfish

my Betta (whom I simply bought on a whim-funny story, I was looking for a Cinnibon and went into the petstore in the mall near my house) i passed the betta's and looked at them, like I do any fish i see. they all were...like betta's are, except one this little pink and brown one, who kept looking at me so I took him, bought him and brought him home, deciding to go back later for the cinnibon. stuck him in the tank with the other fish (at first he didn't like the two bigger ones but they all get along just fine) everyone gets food and the big tank is awaiting the arrival of the fish. good times
Nightfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:51 AM   #39 
Haeclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfish View Post
my Betta (whom I simply bought on a whim-funny story, I was looking for a Cinnibon and went into the petstore in the mall near my house) i passed the betta's and looked at them, like I do any fish i see. they all were...like betta's are, except one this little pink and brown one, who kept looking at me so I took him, bought him and brought him home, deciding to go back later for the cinnibon. stuck him in the tank with the other fish (at first he didn't like the two bigger ones but they all get along just fine) everyone gets food and the big tank is awaiting the arrival of the fish. good times
^_^ nice, glad to hear about your new little guy!

what other fish dose he live with?
Old 06-04-2009, 06:57 AM   #40 
Haeclark

No problem Vikki, just sharing info about my own fish, and other links I came across...

lol Andi Supalla's Betta article / art site I provided with the Behavior info got removed because I forgot to remove the links the article contained, linking to another different site from Andi Supalla's [that ironically are still linked in the article ATM...but I cannot edit it...a very annoying feature]

Last edited by Haeclark; 06-04-2009 at 07:00 AM.