Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #1 
KohakuRiver

Question Planning a 30(ish) gallon, want it planted, Help?

I am turning it into a sorority. I have almost no experience with plants, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the variety and quantity of plants I should get, the more suggestions the merrier! I looked at a bunch of plants, but my main issue is figuring out how many and what variety will go well together. I can't figure out the quantity. Also, how much will it cost (just for the plants)? I'm looking for all types of plants, a good variety.

I really want to make something like this with plants compatible with betta fish.

I just need to figure out what plants to work around before I can plan the aquascape. I will keep in mind the parameters for a sorority, such as lots of hiding places and no clear lines of sight.
KohakuRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #2 
shimagoma

That kind of scape would require very high light and canned CO2

I would recommend checking out plantedtank

all and all that setup could easily be a 6-7 hundred dollar setup from ground up (probably more?)

Good beginner plants are things like Crypts, wisteria (lace and broadleaf) Hydrocotyle (with good enough lighting) and most mosses, java moss, java fern. Most of them you can get at local stores or even on aquabid. Planted tank also has some nice sellers and is worth a look!
shimagoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #3 
gorillakev

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimagoma View Post
That kind of scape would require very high light and canned CO2

I would recommend checking out plantedtank

all and all that setup could easily be a 6-7 hundred dollar setup from ground up (probably more?)

Good beginner plants are things like Crypts, wisteria (lace and broadleaf) Hydrocotyle (with good enough lighting) and most mosses, java moss, java fern. Most of them you can get at local stores or even on aquabid. Planted tank also has some nice sellers and is worth a look!

+1

Last edited by gorillakev; 05-10-2013 at 02:12 PM.
gorillakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #4 
KohakuRiver

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of something on a smaller scale, but just as cool.

Canned CO2? Is that similar to the canister sold for personal soda makers? Where would you get that?
KohakuRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #5 
gorillakev

Canned co2 or pressurized co2 can be found at places that do co2 refills in your area you can find tanks craigslist also. Those co2 that are used in personal soda machines are cartridges, from what I know there isnt a an adaptor for co2 cartridges. Maybe fluval had one

Do a paintball co2 setup. Paintball co2 tanks can be had for cheap.

Don't forget you have to get a regulator. If you want to do paintball co2, then there's a guy on PLANTEDTANK that has regulators for paintball co2 for a more than reasonable price.
gorillakev is offline   Reply With Quote