Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #1 
dacora

New To Bettas, Hoping For Some Tank Suggestions

Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to bettas, and was hoping to get some tank suggestions. Currently my boy Tully is in a half gallon that I purchased when I got him, with plans of upgrading next week. I've been changing his water every other day, and he's active, eating (reasonably) well, and a perky little guy. :)

That wood/plant thing in the tank with him is also a hidey hole, which he loves. I really can't wait to move him to a bigger tank though, with how active he is I think he'd absolutely love more space.

I'm really torn over what tank to get. I was pretty set on the Marineland Hex 5, then I was looking at the Marineland Crescent 5, and the Fluval Spec V. But then there's the Top Fin and Aqueon starter aquariums, and each one seems to have such mixed reviews on petstore and amazon listings, I thought I'd ask you guys!

Which aquarium would be good for a first timer? I don't know the reputations of certain filter systems, but I'm sure you guys know which ones are great for bettas. Any advice would be great!
Attached Images

dacora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #2 
shellieca

Welcome!! I have the Marineland Crescent 5, 2 of them in fact & the Top Fin 5.5g starter kit. I do not use the filter that came with either of them, I switched to sponge filters & of course had to purchase heaters since neither of them came with one. I love both tanks. Look at the space where you want to put the tank, which would look better? Do you want glass or acrylic? The Top Fin is rectangular & glass which I like because, IMO, its easier to decorate & less likely to scratch; I am NOT a fan of the hood it comes with. The crescent is acrylic which can scratch, the shape is great for a corner, I like the slim outline of it & the openness since the lid is also clear acrylic & lays flat. I'm not a fan of the LED light. As with anything pros & cons.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #3 
Kithy

If you have a lot of space you could do a 5 or 10g because I promise you that you will end up with more bettas even if you say you won't right now :)

Walmart generally has alright kits if you wanna go that route. They don't usually include heaters unfortunately.

Bettas generally do better with wider tanks rather than taller ones but it really depends on your fish as an individual ^^

I'd suggest craigslist or even garage sales if you can make sure the equipment is leakproof and works well and safe.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #4 
dacora

Thanks so much for the input guys, sorry it took me so long to reply. I ended up getting the Marineland Crescent 5. So far I'm loving it, the filter is nice and quiet, and I like the LED lighting. It's perfect for the space on my desk. :)

Sorry for the phone picture.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #5 
Kithy

Looks awesome :D

I can't tell if it has a cover on it or not. If it doesn't you can use saran wrap with some holes poked in it to cover the whole top.

Bettas are amazing little jumpers and will jump when they want to so be careful.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #6 
dacora

It has a very thin plastic cover that pops on and off with a small hole near the front for feeding. But if I notice any issues with this front gap, I will definitely cover it.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #7 
Kithy

Oh that should be perfect then! I'm sure he's one happy wittle fishie!
Old 05-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #8 
eaturbyfill

Hello and welcome to the forum! :D I like your tank!
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote