Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #1 
loveDelphine21

Question Alternative Tanks?

Does anyone know if there is an alternative way to keep betta? When I say alternative, I mean something that's not a glass aquarium tank or fish bowl. Or plastic critter container. I was thinking something along the lines of a plastic storage container. My brother has 2 snapping turtles that he keeps in 50 gallon clear plastic storage containers. He also has 2 full grown bullfrogs and 2 catfish(each about a foot long) along with other simple creek fish in a 110 gallon horse troph thing.

Do you think it would be possible to set up something like that for betta? Of course, it would be smaller and have all the heaters and filters and what-not. Do you think this would hurt the fish?
loveDelphine21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #2 
IonBaller07

I think a clear rubbermaid storage container or whatever would work just fine as long as you keep them in the same conditions as a normal tank. Lots of breeders use these containers when spawning and I know one user on here already has a container for his betta but I cant remember who.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #3 
loveDelphine21

Oh, cool! I think I'm going to set something like that up. Should I just set it up like I would a normal tank? Do I need to prep the container or anything? I probably wash it out first to make sure it's clean.
loveDelphine21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:11 PM   #4 
BettaSquirt

Yeah, wash it out and make sure its very clean. And set it up like an normal tank. I think that would most likely work.
BettaSquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Don't use soap.Rinse with hot water.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #6 
IonBaller07

Yeo same as normal wash it without using any chemicals, add substrate if you want some, any decor/plants that you have. Then put in the heater and filter if you use one. Then it should be good to go. You might wand to cut holes in the lid for the fish to get but it cant escape. The easiest way would to just stab holes in the top. What I would do though it cut a large rectangle hole in the lid and then put like a mesh chicken wire over the hole. Makes it look nicer IMO but isnt neccisary. Or you could just lower the water level to where they cant jump out. Also keep in mind that a majority of heaters and filters on tthe market might not stick to or hang on those containers very well.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternative, tank