Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #1 
countyrd419

Unhappy New Betta-Fish Not Swimming.

I recently got a new male betta-fish. He is not swimming, just floats and makes small bubble nests. He is not eating too. I am afraid that he might die soon. I need some help from the community.

Thank you.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #2 
nel3

if it was from a pet store then its probably shock at the change of environment. just take proper care of him and he'll get active and start eating within a few days to a week. given they're healthy enough they can go nearly 2 weeks without eating (may not enjoy it much) they usually wont let themselves die of hunger unless theres another underlying cause.

he just needs time to get used to his new home.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #3 
countyrd419

This Betta-Fish died last night. I just got a new male Betta-Fish today and he is swimming and adjusting to his new home. I will post pictures as soon as I can.

Thank you for your advice.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #4 
nel3

sorry to hear that, i hope the new one does better than this one.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #5 
countyrd419

My new Betta-Fish Cobalt is doing fine. He is small and swimming in his bowl.
Does he need a heater? I live in Florida and its warm all year round for the most part.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #6 
Picasso84

You definitely need a thermometer, so u can make sure his temp is stable, it needs to be btwn 76-86* F. I keep mine at 81-82... The most important thing, is that its stable, and not below 76* F

Also, It depends on what your indoor temps are (the temp of the room his tank is in) if the room is 80 degrees, then his tank could be around 10 degrees lower, (which is 70* F - which is not warm enough) but it depends on tank size, so you *need* a thermometer, the glass kind that (usually have a suction cup) go inside the tank r best... They only cost around $2... But, the kind that stick to the outside of the tank are *not* reliable enough

Alot of times, people that have warm temps year-round like what you are talking about, will have a good heater (the adjustable kind) they set to keep the tank's temp from getting below a certain temperature.

Last edited by Picasso84; 05-10-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Unless you house sits at a toasty (and consistent) 82 or so degrees 24/7, day and night, you should invest in a heater.

Water temperature is always usually a few degrees lower than room temperature, and in a small vase like it looks like your male is being held, fluctuations can occur very rapidly if there is not a heater to keep the temperature stable. Fluctuations can cause all sorts of parasites and diseases to take advantage of your betta. Velvet in particular can be triggered by something like a sudden drop in water temperature.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote