Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 02:54 AM   #1 
LouiMon

Talking LouiMon's Betta Journal.

Hello, All.

I've always thought keeping a journal would be cool, but any time I tried, I never knew what to say. I just discovered this section and realized that if there's one thing I can't shut up about, it's my fish :3

I had about 3 Bettas when I was a kid and they all died within about 2 months thanks to the Pet Store's advice. I was very put off by them because they seemed so boring, just sitting at the bottom of the tank, refusing to eat and eventually dying, but about ten years later I'm well equipped with information on properly caring for them and I have been blown away with how amazing these gorgeous little fish are.

About a month and a half ago, I purchased a ten gallon tank, heater, etc. I also purchased a beautiful little Veil Tail and named him Walter :D

Since getting Walter, I've spent way more money than I thought I would need to and he's been way more work than expected, but I love the little guy and I plan to start another ten gallon once his tank is cycled and planted.

Right now his tank is pretty bare, with only gravel, a pot and a piece of driftwood,

but I collected a bunch of really smooth rocks and I'm going to buy some plants very soon. Likely Anubias on the driftwood, Java Moss on the rocks that will surround the driftwood and throw in a taller plant like Hornwort, Java Fern, Crypts or Moneywort.

I ended up doing a fish-in cycle and I'm five and a half weeks in and it's just about done. It has been a ton of work keeping him safe, though and I will definitely do fish-less cycles from now on.

He's doing great. He's always begging for food, darting around the tank and his colour has deepened quite a bit since I brought him home.

Anyway, I think that's good enough for my first post :3

I'll be posting about Walter, new fish and maybe reviewing some fish related products?... Oh and my cats might make a guest appearance at some point xD

Thanks for reading!
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:14 AM   #2 
Mar

Walter looks lovely! Cute little diary, keep it up :)
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:31 AM   #3 
logisticsguy

Another case of the betta bug. Walter is cool and your tank looks good. A few live plants and it will be terrific.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #4 
LouiMon

Walter has finally started building bubble nests! I have a sticky note on the side of his tank with his adoption date and he won't build anywhere else!

I hate having to do water changes, though, because it destroys his nest :(

I feel like a parent ripping the picture his son drew for him off the fridge, ripping it to shreds and throwing it away xD
Old 04-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #5 
Mar

If you want, carefully scoop the bubbles into a cup, and then at the end, slowly pour it back in the corner.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #6 
LouiMon

I've been looking for something to put a new tank on and I believe I have found it :3

It's an old TV stand that used to hold a 27 inch tube TV.

It held nearly 200lb (provided by yours truly xD) with no problem so I think it'll work! :D
Old 05-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #7 
LouiMon

Guys?... I did a bad thing.

I didn't realize how big the stand is. Do you think it'll look alright?
Old 05-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #8 
LouiMon

Every time I go to the pet store, I see a Betta that I love, but I've vowed to never fish-in cycle again so I always have to leave him behind.

I saw the most gorgeous lavender halfmoon with white on the edges of it's fins and it killed me to not take him home.

So I think I'm going to get this tank cycled and divide it so I'll be able to buy one right away and keep the extra spot open for the next Betta that speaks to me xD
Old 05-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #9 
Hishifishy

Hahaha! That's a great idea! I should have the same rule and leave a tank cycled and ready for a spontaneous purchase. I can't wait to see what the new tank and its second inhabitant looks like! :) I think that the tank will look great on that stand. I prefer to leave a lot of room behind my tank to hide cords and fish food anyways. I loved your description of how you felt about destroying your betta's bubble nest. Will be subscribing to your journal! I
Hishifishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #10 
LouiMon

It took longer than expected and I used over half a 300ml bottle of Prime, but Walter's nitrites have plummeted to 0. I think Walter deserves a pat on the back.

That son of a fish did it... *prideful tear* :')