Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #11 
Auburn Sakura

How sweet, I can tell you really love these guys and other animals. Seaside must also have been quite a special guy. And I'm sure that everyone on here is just as happy as you are with our fishy friends. Good night, and I hope you have a wonderful time here on this site. I know I have. (:)
Auburn Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #12 
love4bettas

Stilll need help with air pump size

Thank you so much for your kindness. Is this the right topic to ask about filters and air pumps?
love4bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #13 
bniebetta

All of my tanks except for my 20 gallon sorority are unfiltered and my fish are healthy as can be. as long as you keep up on water changes, you'll be fine. Remember that filtration will not cut down on nitrates, nitrites, or ammonia. What it does do is create a place for beneficial bacteria to build up and filter out some things with the activated charcoal. You will still have to do water changes, it just may cut down on the visual debris and keep the water clearer. Be careful about smaller filters, a lot of times they are completely useless and break easily, so if you are going to invest in them, get really good ones.

Anyways, long story short, you do not "need" filters but they are nice to have. I know plenty of people on this forum that do not use them and get by just fine :D
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #14 
Auburn Sakura

You're welcome, and what bniebetta said is correct. :) Most of mine are unfiltered, as I've said before. And I would suggest putting something about question related to that in the Betta Fish Care, or Betta Fish Bowls and etc... I believe it would be better answered there, but everyone on here, has posted good info as well. ^.^ :D
Old 05-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #15 
love4bettas

Thank you both. I just posted on another thread that I was out the door to do some filter hunting. Think I better slow down and read a bit more. I really don't mind the water changes. Been doing them so long that I have a system where it takes less than 30 minutes to do all 10 tanks. Maybe the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies here and I should start learning more important things. The larger tanks was a biggy for me. I though 1/2 gallons were fine but such a difference in my boys since changing to larger tanks. So glad I did that. Now for my next project.....
Old 05-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #16 
Auburn Sakura

No problem! Good luck! :D
Old 05-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #17 
eaturbyfill

Hello and welcome to the forum! :D
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #18 
love4bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Sakura View Post
No problem! Good luck! :D
Thank you for the welcome. Is that a rat I see in your avatar? I had a pet rat and loved him. I'm allergic to cats but can have other animals. I've had rats, ferrets, gerbils, hamsters, various birds, dogs, fish (of course) and when I lived in southern jersey even had a horse. Where I live now we have duck and deer crossings. The deer are in our backyard all the time. You can't go down any street without watching out for the deer and lots of rabbits. Sounds like I live in Oz instead of NJ.

Well, today I finally made a decision to use the filters I had from past fish tank set ups. I read a post from someone who used filter media and put it on the output of water and held it with rubber bands. I thought that was such a genious idea I would try it. So I spent the entire day cutting and rubberbanding filter media on my 10 filters!! I then used plastic cups and cut 10 baffles and I have to admit, thanks to the sharing of information here my tanks came out GREAT!!! It's thanks to all the posts of you all that have had the kindness to share and help. I've never been happier. I just love to sit and watch my boys. It's so comforting and they really make me smile. They really are little clowns, aren't they. Never knew bettas did so much and could keep you amused with their silly anticks.

I'm going to enjoy my weekend. I'm going betta shopping. May even get one or two more. We'll see. Interested in finding a little girl.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:28 AM   #19 
Starfish1

Quote:
Originally Posted by love4bettas View Post
I have always had a love of bettas. I actually got my first one about 5 years ago in Seaside Heights.
This is exactly how it started for me! My first betta that I won playing a game in Seaside! :D. Now I'm on number 9! Lol

They're addicting but I love each one of them.. How do you get all 10 cleaned in a half hour?!!!? Is there a special trick that I'm missing??
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #20 
love4bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish1 View Post
This is exactly how it started for me! My first betta that I won playing a game in Seaside! :D. Now I'm on number 9! Lol

They're addicting but I love each one of them.. How do you get all 10 cleaned in a half hour?!!!? Is there a special trick that I'm missing??
No special trick. I work really fast with everything. I organize all my stuff and clean.

1. have 20 gallons of new conditioned water
2. have the siphon hose
3. bucket to empty water
4. buck of water to clean ornaments (dip them and wipe clean.)

*5. New filters once a month

Ok now I start:

I do each part of cleaning the 10 tanks at the same time. I only have 3 gallon tanks so they're small to clean and easy/very quick.

1. take tops off
2. take out ornaments and put in water bucket
3. siphon substrate/water change
4. take cleaned ornaments back in the tank
5. add water
6. put tops back on

DONE! 30 minutes. That includes getting everything set up and cleaning up. Just dump dirty water and put equipment away.

I don't know if that helps you. I hope so. I have a small flock here so as not to be so big that it's not fun anymore. I so enjoy "projects" and taking care of animals it's just a natural thing for me. You can tell I just love my babies. (I know it's backwards for some but I like to end the boys experience of my cleaning on a positive note. So I feed them a little treat and they are so happy swimming around and then some take a nap.

I cleaned yesterday and laughed like crazy. I have one little boy that actually came up to my hand and tried nipping my finger. That was a first. Have to admit though I thought it was the cutest thing. Ok, just realized I need a betta intervention and have to get a life!!