Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2013, 01:15 AM   #11 
Mr2KiEu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish1 View Post
I love this! I have those same bowls and never thought of doing something like this but I think you gave me some ideas....

one question though how does your betta not jump out with no cover?

also what type of plants are those two in the front?

Try it out, I've done some research and its pretty easy to maintain once you have it setup properly. I literally just set it up and took the pic, so I don't have a cover yet, but I've been using a plastic grate I had laying around. I'll probably go to Taps Plastic tomorrow and DIY a nice low profile net cover so it'll still allow light thru. The grass-like plants in the front are Micro swords.
Mr2KiEu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:20 AM   #12 
Mr2KiEu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalee01 View Post
Wow this is beautiful! I too keep mine in planted bowls. I REALLY like yours though! Its giving me ideas about changing mine up a bit
Wow, yours looks AMAZING too!!! They look really cool next to each other. How many gallons are your bowls? and Where did you get those LED lights? I had a hard time finding a light to work with the bowls, so I just ended up using super glue to glue the light directly on the bowl. lol

Keep up the nice bowls! Post pics here if you make those changes, I could use new ideas too.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:25 AM   #13 
Mr2KiEu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briz View Post
Added more plants today:

It's a mess right now, but I will reorganize everything once the small adjustable heaters (using clunky ones right now) and driftwood arrive. It's more seeing which plants will survive in the water and weeding out those that don't.

Nice bowls! How many gallons are your bowls? They look similar to my bowls. The Pennywort looks good floating. I need to get some floaters too.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #14 
Mr2KiEu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
Beautiful bowls! Where did you find 3 gallon bowls at? I do agree that you will at least want to put saran wrap over the tops. Jumping from the tank is one of the most preventable forms of betta death (in most cases some are wily and get through holes) If you have Hobby Lobby they will cut plexiglass for 50 cents a cut and could probably make something that is close fit. I got 6 AQ cut for $6.00.!

Thanks! I got my bowl from Home Goods for $15. I've also seen them at Marshalls or TJ Maxx, their all the same company I believe. I'm not exactly sure if its 3 gallons, maybe 2.5? lol

Thanks for the tip on the plastic covers, We don't have a Hobby Lobby in the Bay Area, CA but I'll be going to Tap's Plastic tomorrow to see what I can find for a nice low profile cover.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #15 
Briz

I got my bowls from save-on-crafts.com. They only shipped them in a pair so I got 2.

They are 2 gallon bowls.

Cost about $15 each after shipping.

There's a TJ Maxx near me, might check it out sometime for these bowls! Slightly larger would mean more room for plants.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #16 
Briz

So checked TJ Maxx. They certainly do have the same glassware "brand" that my bowls are, I recognized the company sticker on them. However, they only have a random assortment and had no bubble bowls. They did have a large terrarium bowl, but since the opening was in the middle, it wouldn't do for an aquarium.

Might check back in a few months and see if they got anything different!
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #17 
Mr2KiEu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briz View Post
So checked TJ Maxx. They certainly do have the same glassware "brand" that my bowls are, I recognized the company sticker on them. However, they only have a random assortment and had no bubble bowls. They did have a large terrarium bowl, but since the opening was in the middle, it wouldn't do for an aquarium.

Might check back in a few months and see if they got anything different!

Maybe my bowls are 2 gallons too then, since yours are 2 gallons and are the same brand. I've seen someone on youtube with a 10 gallon bowl!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #18 
Ibn Saeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu View Post
Wanted to try a new project, so I transferred everything from my Fluval Spec III into a 3gal bowl. I plan on keeping it unfiltered, but may add a small filter for some water movement. I'll be adding some snails and shrimps later on. So far so good! He seems pretty happy.

Anyone else have a betta in a planted bowl?
What a beautiful setup.
Ibn Saeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:01 AM   #19 
Mr2KiEu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn Saeed View Post
What a beautiful setup.
Thank you!
Old 05-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #20 
Ibn Saeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu View Post
Wanted to try a new project, so I transferred everything from my Fluval Spec III into a 3gal bowl. I plan on keeping it unfiltered, but may add a small filter for some water movement. I'll be adding some snails and shrimps later on. So far so good! He seems pretty happy.

Anyone else have a betta in a planted bowl?
Can you please list the accessories you have used in your bowl. What is the substrate you have used, the plants etc ?

I really want to get a bowl project like this.
Ibn Saeed is offline   Reply With Quote