Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #1 
roark13

Fin Rot?

So unfortunately my girlfriend's last betta passed away (he was a baby and we were given bad info by Petco who sold him) and she got a new betta on St. Patrick's Day named Lucky. At first he wouldn't eat but after 3 days he started eating and now he loves swimming around and eating! Now my girlfriend left for the Dominican Republic so I am taking care of him.

At one point in time Petco sold us a skull and after putting it in she noticed he wasn't swimming around as much. Then she saw the paint was peeling off the skull and Lucky had some silver on his fins which eventually fell off (the part of the fin that was silver). So she changed everything and his fins started growing again. He gained so white tips that started to lengthen his fins.

Now it is about 4 weeks later and I am starting to grow concerned He is still happy and eating fine but I noticed the white tips are now longer and I think his blue tips are a little shorter. This would suggest to me he may have fin rot but I don't know. He even built a bubble nest less than a week ago so I thought he was happy and fine. Please help!

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80-82 deg
Does your tank have a filter? no but we own one
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? 4 freeze dried worms and 2 pellets, 6 times a week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? dechlorination

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Have not tested

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? white tips on end of fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? nope
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 weeks ago, but thought it was just fin growth until today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? nothing yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Had fin rot once due to a bad decoration
How old is your fish (approximately)? probably a few months.

roark13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hi there and welcome to the forum!

First off I want to say that you should switch around your feedings. Freeze Dried Bloodworms have very high protein but are lacking in all other areas of nutrients that Betta's need. So feeding him 6 pellets a day would be best and then the bloodworms only once a week as a treat, it can also cause bloat and constipation which isn't good.

Otherwise, your care looks good! The white part just looks like more fin growth to me, it might take a while until the Blue gets back into the white parts as it grows. It will usually take a little while until the new growth gets it's color back so I wouldn't worry.

I would worry if there were black on his fins or grey, that's fin rot. But white and clear are just regrowth which is good! :)

(Also if you want you can buy some New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets or Omega One Betta Pellets, both are highly recommended on this forum and have pretty much all the nutrients you fish needs without all the fillers. If you look at the ingredients on your betta pellets you'll probably see lots of wheats and grains which aren't as good for Bettas, those are the fillers you need to watch out for.)
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot, white tips