Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #21 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well I reinforced the divider once again. It's got a double layer of the plastic mesh which actually over laps the first piece so that it goes all the way to the edges so Steve can't push though the little butt haha.

And I also decided to just go ahead and put the sand in their tank. So now the bottom has a nice inch think layer of sand so Steve DEFINITELY can't get through lol

Both boys seemed to be very stressed when they couldn't see each other again, I had to put their cups side by side and they both colored up nicely again.

I don't know if they really actually do like each other because they still try to get through the barrier like they want to kill each other but when they aren't looking at each other they go back to having stress stripes. Is this a normal Betta Baby thing?

Anyway, Tony's still having trouble with his swim bladder and staying down, the poor thing. So I've posted to see if there is anything I can help with that. But so far so good!

It's been two weeks yesterday since I've had them :D
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #22 
Darkicydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Well I reinforced the divider once again. It's got a double layer of the plastic mesh which actually over laps the first piece so that it goes all the way to the edges so Steve can't push though the little butt haha.

And I also decided to just go ahead and put the sand in their tank. So now the bottom has a nice inch think layer of sand so Steve DEFINITELY can't get through lol

Both boys seemed to be very stressed when they couldn't see each other again, I had to put their cups side by side and they both colored up nicely again.

I don't know if they really actually do like each other because they still try to get through the barrier like they want to kill each other but when they aren't looking at each other they go back to having stress stripes. Is this a normal Betta Baby thing?

Anyway, Tony's still having trouble with his swim bladder and staying down, the poor thing. So I've posted to see if there is anything I can help with that. But so far so good!

It's been two weeks yesterday since I've had them :D

thats so strange that they get stressed when they cant see each other but act like they wanna kill each other? maybe its just stressing them cause its something they arent used to or they dont know where their "enemy" is? I have no idea

and I hope the bladder thing goes away, poor baby : (
Darkicydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #23 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkicydevil View Post
thats so strange that they get stressed when they cant see each other but act like they wanna kill each other? maybe its just stressing them cause its something they arent used to or they dont know where their "enemy" is? I have no idea

and I hope the bladder thing goes away, poor baby : (
Well I did some more reading lol. I knew babies went through a "stress stripe" stage but I couldn't remember why. Finally figured out that it was their camoflage while in the wild, they keep their stripes to tell other Betta's they don't want any trouble and to keep themselves hidden so it's natural.

But Steve still gets a little more stressed out and freaks out a bit when he can't see Tony, it's just his personality I guess lol.

I couldn't have named this pair more perfectly lol

I hope the swim bladder issue is solved as well, he's doing okay right now. He was just down towards the bottom a few minutes ago looking at Steve but he's back at the top struggling. I think he might have some sort of difformity as well since when he rests he kind of takes on a mild 'S' shape, not as extreme as a crooked spine but kind of like scoliosis lol So yeah, not to sure about anything right now :/
Old 05-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #24 
Darkicydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Well I did some more reading lol. I knew babies went through a "stress stripe" stage but I couldn't remember why. Finally figured out that it was their camoflage while in the wild, they keep their stripes to tell other Betta's they don't want any trouble and to keep themselves hidden so it's natural.

But Steve still gets a little more stressed out and freaks out a bit when he can't see Tony, it's just his personality I guess lol.

I couldn't have named this pair more perfectly lol

I hope the swim bladder issue is solved as well, he's doing okay right now. He was just down towards the bottom a few minutes ago looking at Steve but he's back at the top struggling. I think he might have some sort of difformity as well since when he rests he kind of takes on a mild 'S' shape, not as extreme as a crooked spine but kind of like scoliosis lol So yeah, not to sure about anything right now :/

oh wow thats very interesting! I never knew that o.O and aww cute personality! :3

oh wow....poor baby... i hope hes gonna make it : ( I would be freaking out haha
Darkicydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #25 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes, it is interesting! I learn something new everyday it seems ^^

Yeah, he's doing very well and staying down for the most part, the light is off and I think he likes that more. But occasionally he floats up to let himself get caught in the fake plants I've got in there for him. And he just lets his body just float there for a little while then goes back to swimming or goes to the top for air....I really hope he survives, both I and Steve will be devastated!
Old 05-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #26 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So I finally got the divider to stay and Steve has not found a way around it yet! lol

Tony seems to be doing better with his bouyancy, he does better after he's been fed so I upped their feedings to about 4-5 times a day, only small amounts though. I did find Epsom salt though (89 Cents at Walmart!!! I didn't realize it was going to be so cheap ><) so I do have it in case it turns out to be a more severe case of Swim Bladder Disease.

They're growing up so well! Steve is super active while Tony still kind of hangs about, swimming lazily through his part of the tank. Both have kept their color wonderfully since they are constant sight of each other, or sort of a constant. It's harder for them to see through the divider since I doubled it up, but they can still sense each other.

Tony may or may not be a girl, I have to shine a light to really get a look to see if he's got ovaries or not, for now I'm sticking with boy but who knows :D

Here's some well-earned pictures.

Tony:

Steve:

Sorry I don't have more pictures but my camera ultimately sucks and doesn't focus well after I dropped it in Spain ><
Old 05-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #27 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Day 21

Wow, crazy, I've had these little guys for three weeks!! It sure doesn't feel like it but they've definitely grown :)

Tony is still up in the air on gender, I tried the light trick by between my camera not being good and Tony not being able to sit still long enough...I didn't get too many good shots. Steve is so darn cooperative it isn't even funny, I got a light picture of him too just to verify that he is a boy :)

These pictures are from the 15th of May (so just a few days ago)

Here's Steve being oh so cooperative :)

And Tony's shot, at least the one I could get the clearest >< Any comments about him?

Steve:

Tony:

Steve being photogenic lol

Decent pic of Tony's irid

And the Pictures from Today:

Steve has darkened up quite a bit:

A little beard tucked away:

Kind of Blurry, but you can see his tail nicely:

Tony: IMHO I'm cuter than you!

Full Belly:

Oh hai:

All for today folks!
Old 05-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #28 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Steve and Tony are so adorable, love reading about their adventures
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #29 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thanks Perseusmom! Yeah it certain is entertaining to watch their adventures!

Ohhh, I forgot to mention in my last post that I think I found a resolution to Tony's Swim bladder problem....I just fed him more often than twice a day >< I'm feeding about 4 times a day now and everyone is much happier and swimming everywhere!
So yeah, I hope that's it with his SB problems and that they never come back!
Old 05-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #30 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Day 23

Alrighty, hey all! I know I just updated but I took more pictures! So here you go! Mostly Tony because I never get good pictures of him! I still don't...but I figured you'd appreciate some pictures of him instead of all Steve haha

Because Steve is a little Queen XD not really, just a Diva

Tail growth!

Lots of fin growth!

Taiiiiillll!

Tony would NOT stop moving today! Arrg, was driving me insane!!

Why are you all the way on that side of the picture?! You were just in the middle!!

Ooooh pretty irid!

Wouldn't stop moving

Because Steve is pretty and he knows it

Sit down and stay down!!!

Finally! Look at that cute little golden head!

Still moving!

And that's all for today folks!