Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #1 
lindsayframe

Exclamation Parasites? Help!

Hello everyone,

I just bought a combtail (I think so at least) a few days ago. I noticed that he was rather twitchy, and I think that he may have been flashing. Today I noticed that on one of his fins, he has what almost looks like pinhole fin rot, but has a black line in the middle, surrounded by a translucent patch. Could this be an external parasite? And if so, what do I do?

Water parameters are pretty close to perfect (he's in a 3 gal bowl for now while I cycle my 25L chi). No nitrates or nitrites, less than 0.25 ppm ammonia at all times. Heated and filtered.

Help! What should I do?

Thanks
Attached Images

lindsayframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #2 
lindsayframe

Also, I noticed that he's been opening and closing his mouth a lot and has been a bit lethargic (hiding in his cave often). But the spot in the picture was not there last night and is new this morning :(
Old 05-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #3 
FishyFloorzack

He has parasites. I lost mine also to this. Keep a steady tempurature or warm it up a bit. Use AQ salt.

My suggestion is to get some Aquarium salt, make sure it's aquarium and not marine which are two very different salts.

This is going to involve 100% water changes every day so either you can dose his tank and clean out 2.5/3 gallons of water, or you can get a small bowl or a quarantine tank if you have one. (I use plastic-ware bowls from Wal-Mart, usually holding about 1 liter or so) I float those in the tank so that he will stay warm but it will be easier to do the water changes.

Use 3 teaspoons per gallon, so if you don't have a 1 gallon QT tank to float him in his old tank but you have the bowls, I would find something that is 1 gallon or close to it and mix up the mixture and pour that into the bowl he will be floating in. You can either throw out the rest of the water, or save it for the next day.

So 3 teaspoons per gallon, make sure you use Conditioner, put him in that and float him in the tank. Make sure you can get a lid on the container so he doesn't jump out, plastic wrap will work as well. Change his water 100% everyday, adding in a new mixture of the salt and conditioned water. This will make so that the ammonia doesn't build up and he won't be harmed but it makes it easier to dose salt.

The Aquarium salt works on killing internal parasites as well as combats fin rot/body slime infections and stuff of the like. The clear stringy poo is a sign of internal parasites. You can dose him for 14 days or until he poos normally and regains his color.
FishyFloorzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #4 
FishyFloorzack

TRY TO ANSWER AS MANY OF THESE QUESTIONS.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
FishyFloorzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Please fill this out-

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

I need this info to help more but I have to say that three teaspoons of aq salt per gallon is risky at best. That would be very stressful and even dangerous. Use 1tsp/g instead.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #6 
lindsayframe

Thanks FishyFloorzack, I've actually started treatment with API General Cure, as AQ salt didn't help much for my last fish. Can I add AQ salt as well, or is this inadvisable due to chemical reactivity rendering the medicine inactive? Also, I haven't noticed any clear stringy poo, so is there any reason to presume this is internal as well?

Housing
What size is your tank? around 2-3 gallons (7 gallon is almost finished a fishless cycle, but I fell in love with Logan at the petstore and bought him too early)
What temperature is your tank? 76
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? aeration is included with filter
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? a variation of different pellets, he doesn't eat much though
How often do you feed your betta fish? one pellet twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 2-3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? nutrafin cycle and conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: less than 0.25, slightly more than 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: around 6.8
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I have only had him for a few days, so the only difference I've noticed is a wormlike black thing hanging from his fin, surrounded by a translucent circle where the fin appears to have been eaten away
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? again, I have nothing to compare it to except for my last betta, but I noticed some flashing, he opens and closes his mouth a lot (though this may just be personality), and he has been hiding a fair bit/lying on the sand substrate
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? API Gen. Cure, a little over 1/5th of the packet (it is for 10 gal)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? he was a pet store fish, so I imagine it's possible
How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought him three days ago, and he's the smallest one I've ever seen for sale (he appears to still be growing).. that is all I know though.

Tags
combtail, diseases, fin rot, parasite