Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #1 
Batmantha

Plants & Tank mate recommendations?

I'm redoing my Betta tanks yet again.

I have ordered 2 new tanks - Aquamanta Xanti 26 which is 26 Litres and I am looking to use the Flourite Sand/Clay as a base as these will be my first NPTs

I have a big tropical tank which just has plain black gravel and have successfully kept swords and anubis' alive which seems to be all I can keep alive in the small tanks too.

I was hoping someone had some suggestions as to some easy beginner plants. I am hoping to get I believe its called Ricca type of moss to create cover on some gold vine bits of wood but apart from that I'm at a loss

I also was hoping to get a tank mate for the Bettas, hopefully an algae eater or something that can sift through sand with ease so any suggestions on that would be great

Thanks!
Batmantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #2 
kimt

I just started a planted tank last week. I have scarlet temple, moneywort, and anubias. The moneywort is already growing like crazy. Like 1-2 inches in a week! I'd try some of that. The scarlet temple looks healthy but definitely isn't growing at the same pace as they money wart. I also got some dwarf grass which looks really nice after a week.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #3 
Batmantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimt View Post
I just started a planted tank last week. I have scarlet temple, moneywort, and anubias. The moneywort is already growing like crazy. Like 1-2 inches in a week! I'd try some of that. The scarlet temple looks healthy but definitely isn't growing at the same pace as they money wart. I also got some dwarf grass which looks really nice after a week.
Yeah I was looking at some dwarf grass http://www.livefish.com.au/plants/bu...ush-bunch.html but its hard to tell if they will be too "sharp"
Old 05-13-2013, 04:36 AM   #4 
Batmantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmantha View Post
Yeah I was looking at some dwarf grass http://www.livefish.com.au/plants/bu...ush-bunch.html but its hard to tell if they will be too "sharp"

and throw in bits of the gold one to give it some more colour as well
Old 05-13-2013, 05:52 AM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Dwarf Hair Grass is soft like regular grass; it's not sharp at all. Do not plant the anubis rhizomes; just the roots. I made that mistake even though I've had aquatic plants forever.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #6 
Batmantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Dwarf Hair Grass is soft like regular grass; it's not sharp at all. Do not plant the anubis rhizomes; just the roots. I made that mistake even though I've had aquatic plants forever.
Does it grow fast?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Fairly fast. Once established you actually have to "mow" it. Do a YouTube search and you'll see.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #8 
Laki

Most anubias grows kind of slow but I still get a new shoot every 2 weeks or so. Since I turned the plant sideways I haven't been able to moniter its growth.

For beginner plants, you want slow-growers who do not require Co2 supplements or super crazy lighting. A 6500k light (which you can buy at pet stores or some hardware stores) would make anything grow. Basically, marimo moss or java moss will take real effort to kill so those are usually the starter plants.

Java fern and hornwort are sworn by some members but it took me a while and a few different plants to actually keep it alive. I'm still struggling with my hornwort too. You want a good floater. These give shade to the fish from the bright light and he can build nests and weave trough the roots which grow down into the water. I have salvinia for my floater bc the pet store gave me some free thinking it would die (that particular store has employees who think the java moss and salvinia which comes in only grows in their store tanks and won't survive in other tanks... They don't sell it) My salvinina has grown to the point where I had to remove the entire batch and giv it its own tank bc it was getting all the nutrients before the bottom plants did. lol Now I grow it for my shrimp.

Frogbit and dwarf water lettuce would be good floaters if you don't want salvinia.

I got free water plants from a girl on Reddit.. They were ambulia and water wisteria. The ambulia is a noxious weed and in the States I think it's illegal to sell! It's certainly illegal to ship. This is because it grows so fast and competes for native water species. My stems literally establish in the gravel within hours and begin to grow. I have never been so successful growing plants. The wisteria is slower growing but it is an easy plant, bright green and tall, my boys love swimming through them!.

My avatar shows you the different colors of plants I have- I think most of mine are all native tropical species from Asia so they match a betta really well.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:03 AM   #9 
Batmantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Most anubias grows kind of slow but I still get a new shoot every 2 weeks or so. Since I turned the plant sideways I haven't been able to moniter its growth.

For beginner plants, you want slow-growers who do not require Co2 supplements or super crazy lighting. A 6500k light (which you can buy at pet stores or some hardware stores) would make anything grow. Basically, marimo moss or java moss will take real effort to kill so those are usually the starter plants.

Java fern and hornwort are sworn by some members but it took me a while and a few different plants to actually keep it alive. I'm still struggling with my hornwort too. You want a good floater. These give shade to the fish from the bright light and he can build nests and weave trough the roots which grow down into the water. I have salvinia for my floater bc the pet store gave me some free thinking it would die (that particular store has employees who think the java moss and salvinia which comes in only grows in their store tanks and won't survive in other tanks... They don't sell it) My salvinina has grown to the point where I had to remove the entire batch and giv it its own tank bc it was getting all the nutrients before the bottom plants did. lol Now I grow it for my shrimp.

Frogbit and dwarf water lettuce would be good floaters if you don't want salvinia.

I got free water plants from a girl on Reddit.. They were ambulia and water wisteria. The ambulia is a noxious weed and in the States I think it's illegal to sell! It's certainly illegal to ship. This is because it grows so fast and competes for native water species. My stems literally establish in the gravel within hours and begin to grow. I have never been so successful growing plants. The wisteria is slower growing but it is an easy plant, bright green and tall, my boys love swimming through them!.

My avatar shows you the different colors of plants I have- I think most of mine are all native tropical species from Asia so they match a betta really well.

yeah the idea of setting up a co2 is something I would like to wait to do because the cost is just nuts, the small system I was looking at was expensive I can't imagine how much the big ones are

Yeah the plant bans are stupid, and it makes it hard, I see so many nice plants here on the forum that I just cant get or at least legally get
Old 05-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #10 
Batmantha

http://aquamanta.com.au/?wpsc-produc...arium-xanti-26

Thats the tank I have ordered - its a copy of the fluval but half the price, fluval was about $250 but this one was only $99