Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #21 
Starfish1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu View Post
Try it out, I've done some research and its pretty easy to maintain once you have it setup properly. I literally just set it up and took the pic, so I don't have a cover yet, but I've been using a plastic grate I had laying around. I'll probably go to Taps Plastic tomorrow and DIY a nice low profile net cover so it'll still allow light thru. The grass-like plants in the front are Micro swords.
Ok cool! Those micro swords look really nice! I just bought a small piece of driftwood too so I think I might try a planted bowl. I'll post pictures when I get it all set up.

Libbey glass has 3 gallon bowls, they have an online store and I ordered mine from them. Actually they have a few different sizes but I like the 3 gallon the best.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:52 AM   #22 
Mr2KiEu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn Saeed View Post
Can you please list the accessories you have used in your bowl. What is the substrate you have used, the plants etc ?

I really want to get a bowl project like this.
Sure no prob. I must warn you tho, I've only had this bowl setup for a few days so I'm not sure of the long term sustainability of the plants. Hopefully they thrive and grow. The Fluval compact fluorescent 13w light should be enough lighting, but I'm thinking I'll need to add root tabs or supplements for long term growth.

Here's the list, hope it helps!

1. 3 gallon bowl from Home Goods = $15
2. Caribsea Midnight Black Floramax from Petsmart = $9
3. Branch Wood from LFS = $15
4. Fluval CF 13W light = $25 buy it online at thatpetplace.com
5. 2 Anubias plants = $12
6. 2 Micro sword plants = $8
7. 2 Golden Mystery Snail from Petsmart = $6
8. Other plants = 3 for $10 at LFS
9. Aqueon water conditioner from Petsmart = $6
10. Last but not least 1 betta......lol = Priceless!

WOW, I didn't realize I spent that much, until just now. Total came out to $106
Mr2KiEu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #23 
Ibn Saeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu View Post
Sure no prob. I must warn you tho, I've only had this bowl setup for a few days so I'm not sure of the long term sustainability of the plants. Hopefully they thrive and grow. The Fluval compact fluorescent 13w light should be enough lighting, but I'm thinking I'll need to add root tabs or supplements for long term growth.

Here's the list, hope it helps!

1. 3 gallon bowl from Home Goods = $15
2. Caribsea Midnight Black Floramax from Petsmart = $9
3. Branch Wood from LFS = $15
4. Fluval CF 13W light = $25 buy it online at thatpetplace.com
5. 2 Anubias plants = $12
6. 2 Micro sword plants = $8
7. 2 Golden Mystery Snail from Petsmart = $6
8. Other plants = 3 for $10 at LFS
9. Aqueon water conditioner from Petsmart = $6
10. Last but not least 1 betta......lol = Priceless!

WOW, I didn't realize I spent that much, until just now. Total came out to $106
Thanks alot for the list.

Ill see what i can find here locally.
Ibn Saeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:28 AM   #24 
wish4coner

Just a little help here on cost. You can get the bowls, in every size and shape, but 2.5-3 gallon, at walmart in the craft aisle. They are under 4.00 each They are think and, for a cover, they are usually fit well with macaroni salad/potato salad covers from plastic containers. The Or, you can use bubble wrap or clear plastic wrap on the top. I like the plastic covers and I cut a small hole, so the heater wire can come out, and it also adds air.
Plants act as a filter, in themselves and, with substrate, you should do well.
As for lights..clip on desk lights are 5.00 at walmart. I use them and they are adjustable was to where you want them to aim at. I put florescent bulbs in them, so it takes care of the plants but doesn't heat the tank.

Just some help on cost, if you want to do the set up, but don't have that much to spend on the supplies. :)
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:42 AM   #25 
Starfish1

Thank you for posting what you used and prices! I really like the black gravel..

Where did you get the anubias and micro sword?
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #26 
Briz

Just a note here, 13w over 3 gallons is more than 4 watts per gallon, which is VERY high light. You might run into algae problems or CO2 deficiency with that much light, especially since the light is so close to the bowl. There's not much option for distancing a clip-on light, however.

I'm currently using a 13w CF in a lamp positioned very far above the bowls, but will be rigging up about 3 watts of 10000K LEDs for each bowl when I have the time.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #27 
SerenaRena
Banned

wow, the bowls look amazing! what plants did you use?
SerenaRena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:01 AM   #28 
Mr2KiEu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish1 View Post
Thank you for posting what you used and prices! I really like the black gravel..

Where did you get the anubias and micro sword?
Local Fish Store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaRena View Post
wow, the bowls look amazing! what plants did you use?
I only know the names of the Anubias and micro sword. I don't know what the names of the other plants are. Maybe someone can identify them?
Old 05-13-2013, 01:03 AM   #29 
Mr2KiEu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish4coner View Post
Just a little help here on cost. You can get the bowls, in every size and shape, but 2.5-3 gallon, at walmart in the craft aisle. They are under 4.00 each They are think and, for a cover, they are usually fit well with macaroni salad/potato salad covers from plastic containers. The Or, you can use bubble wrap or clear plastic wrap on the top. I like the plastic covers and I cut a small hole, so the heater wire can come out, and it also adds air.
Plants act as a filter, in themselves and, with substrate, you should do well.
As for lights..clip on desk lights are 5.00 at walmart. I use them and they are adjustable was to where you want them to aim at. I put florescent bulbs in them, so it takes care of the plants but doesn't heat the tank.

Just some help on cost, if you want to do the set up, but don't have that much to spend on the supplies. :)

Thanks for the info! I'll have to stop by Walmart one of these days.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:15 AM   #30 
wish4coner

Quote:
Just a note here, 13w over 3 gallons is more than 4 watts per gallon, which is VERY high light. You might run into algae problems or CO2 deficiency with that much light, especially since the light is so close to the bowl. There's not much option for distancing a clip-on light, however.

I'm currently using a 13w CF in a lamp positioned very far above the bowls, but will be rigging up about 3 watts of 10000K LEDs for each bowl when I have the time.
I agree and have it clipped on a bookshelf, rather than the tank. I only use it when I am cleaning or fishing. We have enough natural lighting that, there really is no need to have it on, all of the time.

Also, the ones I got for clip on, can be angled back, very far. The light is actually much further away than would be, if I had a top light from the aquarium hoods. Thanks to all of you guys, I had done research before I did it. Thanks for your continued help and opinions. :)
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote