Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #11 
Basement Bettas

Good luck with them.. sounds like you are being careful. Salt can be over used and you might be better to keep pristine water and do regular super salt dips. Bettas can handle a LOT of salt and still swim normal. Salt adds the stress of osmotic regulation. You can dehydrate the fish and add to their health issues. Again.. I'd go with super salt dips and try not to medicate as again, another stressor. Keep an eye for any irregularities on the body. Dark or grey spots, losing color, and scuffed looking areas. Especially around head and back areas. Use super bright light and make habit to examine regular. You want to be on top of any problem that surfaces.. so you need to know what is normal and be vigilant for what changes.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #12 
justmel

Good advice. Thank you, I will do that.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #13 
Darth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
I don't like the fact that most of the fish have fin rot. That is a care issue and have to wonder what the fish have been expose to. That first grizzle female has horrible top line. And that male, fifth pic down I do not like the emaciated look he has and the greyish spots long his back. Make sure you keep these fish separate and use good bio-security.

The marble male pinches in right after the back of the dorsal.. again top line issues there. Actually most of the fish have bad toplines. My biggest concern for you is possible disease. Keep these fish in individual container well away from any other fish you have and give them some time to settle. Shipping can take some condition but so can disease. You need to get a very strong chemical to treat anything you use with these fish. I don't want to be on crying the sky is falling.. but I have some serious concern about these fish. Take it for what it is worth.

On a side note.. A good breeders culls are still going to have some decent genetics. But the quality of fish you got I would have pet homed. My culls tend to be something you can get quality fish from and you then have to work like any breeder on color and tweaking form. You did get some good bi-colored fish, just crappy form. Keep them away from other fish, try to build up some good condition in them and breed them ASAP. Good food and water quality should get them looking better in a few weeks. If not you have something internal going on. Again.. use care with these fish.

And if you get a spawn keep that bunch isolated and use care you do not cross contaminate. Especially if the adults succumb to disease or bloating. Watch those grey spots and see if they grow or are present on more than that fish. If so, contact me direct.
I have what Basement calls culls, and they are from her..let me tell you her culls are what is sold on AB for good money!
They are the backbone of my green and Blue lines and spawn very easy some were very young when she sent them and have really blossomed.
Take a look at breeders good lines, then ask for culls chances are you will get the ugly stepsisters but they still have the good working genes of that trophy winner..I can not stress enough to buy culls from breeders after all the money you will spend on trying to rescue and buying fish that more than likely have hidden issues it is worth a lousy 20 bucks you will spend on getting genetically sound culls that are superior in every way to that petco or Petsmart just ok betta..the thing is when people want to hear critisisim I can tell you off the top of my head most of the fish I see are definatly Oscar food..sorry, but that's the truth.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #14 
justmel

lol Darth, when I'm asking I certainly don't mind you telling me my fish are worthless for breeding purposes. I might be offended by the way it's said, but I'll get over that too. For me just because the betta is not a breeder does not make it worthless. I have so many pet bettas it's not even funny, but they all hold a place in my heart.

I am trying to get some good culls. The male I currently have and believe I can work with is a cull. I just need to get the right lady to help me start working on his issues
Old 05-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #15 
Darth

I guess I am mad that someone would stoop this low to give you fish like this!!
Money is hard to come by and this person KNEW what the issues were and still gave them to you anyway...I didn't mean your fish were worthless, I just would have hoped a breeder would know most people have the intent of probably at some point want to try it for themselves.
Yes bettas are pretty, but to knowingly breed fish that nobody wants and then trying to home them is folly for sure.
As a breeder, my personal goal is to improve the gene pool and natures rules apply!
What do you think would happen to a fish in the wild with a swim Bladder issue?, just saying this because all these issues are interconnected.
Most of the time in nature, deformed fish also do not make it due to healthier bettas killing them.
A deformed fish also will not be able to get away as quickly as necessary from predation..so while it may be good to save or "Rescue" to some, in the long run the species suffer, because no matter what people say they DO BREED these fish!!
Old 05-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #16 
Fenghuang

I don't mean any rudeness by jumping in, but I do not think it is really that cut and dry, Darth. You can't apply nature's rules to as controlled an environment as a breeder's fishroom (at least not in the strictest sense). There are no natural predators, no natural disasters, no natural struggle for food and resources... Also, most aesthetically pleasing by breeder's standards does not always equal the fittest fish. Being the most balanced fish, carrying the widest fins, having the perfect 180 degree spread, showing the cleanest and most vibrant colours... Those things are not qualities that will help a betta catch prey easier, swim from predators faster, or rear fry better. HMs and vts technically should not even exist if breeders are only breeding for the "strongest" genes. Not trying to offend you, I just wanted to point that out.

With that said, I do agree that people should realize when fish have deformities that greatly diminish their quality of life and make the decision to prolong their suffering. And definitely not to breed them.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 05-12-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #17 
justmel

Darth, you didn't offend me in anyway, just to be clear on that. Honestly I am quite ticked off at these bettas I received also (that is except the 1st & 5th females, they came as advertized and I'm quite attached to them already). The lady I got the others from knew what I wanted, knew I planned on starting a breeding line with her bettas, and assured me they were all breedable. I can excuse others to easy sometimes, but she is going through some things herself right now and had to sell off all her bettas. Originally I was going to buy 1 female from her for a male I already had. Than I asked about a pair instead. Things happened and she had to stop breeding and get rid of her stock so to try and be helpful I agreed to buy a second pair. No matter how often I asked I couldn't get pictures for one reason or another. That should have clued me off, but I wanted to help someone in need too. In the end she said she had a 'few more' bettas that needed a home and gave me 6 more bettas. If I wasn't looking into breeding I would have got a great deal.

As for culling, I don't personally agree with it. I did have to cull a few fry I had, but it was obvious even to my amateur eye they were dieing and not culling them was more cruel than leaving them be. Other than a reason like that I don't see myself culling much. Of course I am just starting, if things take off and I end up with more than the 2 spawning & grow out tanks I plan my views on that might change as well.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #18 
Darth

The easiest way to cull and quick, is by helping out another fish eat...hence the Oscar, snap gone and it is very fast, the culled fish never saw it coming and never knew what happened.
There is a need to cull for sure and this is just one reality of breeding anything.
And since there are no natural predators this falls on the person breeding.
Do not think I am heartless, but when you are trying to maintain hundreds and even thousands of fish, there is no room for weak or deformed ones.
Weaker fish are also disease magnets , what works for me isn't necessarily what others may agree with, but this is how I do it.
I do think that it is sound practice to not let something suffer.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #19 
Fenghuang

Oops, I meant not prolong their suffering. My stupid typos.

I don't think your prespective is wrong. It makes sense for a breeder to want to spend all their time and effort on the best quality fish. I just meant to point out that there is a difference between fish with slightly uneven topline, fins that don't exactly match up, colours that "bleed" too much, etc.--"weak" show fish--and fish with severe deformities. That's all.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #20 
Darth

Ohh, I don't kill weak show fish, if they are less showable that isn't a factor spine curves swim bladder etc etc..that's what I mean, people still buy decent fish not just showable ones.