Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #1 
bettababe321

Question Sand?

Does anyone here use sand? I think it would look really nice in a 5 or 10 gallon but is it harder to keep the tanks clean? Can you use sandbox sand or is there special aquarium sand? Also if I get a 10 gallon instead of a 5 gallon I'll probly look into getting some tank mates for Cosmo, does using sand limit the kinds of fish you can have? Like are there some fish that don't like it? If anyone does use it I would love to see pictures. Thanks!!!
bettababe321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #2 
ifish

i would think that sand box would just turn to mud i thinnk you need real aquarim sand
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #3 
jeaninel

I use play sand from Home Depot (or Lowes) in 3 of my tanks. It looks great and it's cheap... a 50 lb bag costs only about $4. You just need to rinse it really well before you put it in your tank. Put some sand in a 5 gallon bucket. Use a garden hose with a pressure nozzle and fill the bucket with water about an inch or two higher than the sand. Stir with your hand then slowly dump the water out. Repeat until the water rinses clear. It takes awhile but I didn't have any clouding when I put it in my tanks.You can look at my aquariums to see what it looks like. It's easy to clean. The poo sits on top of the sand whereas with gravel stuff tends to work its way down into the gravel. To vacuum you just hover the gravel vac just over the sand to pick up the poo. Also, with each water change, I use a chopstick or a plastic fork and drag it through the sand to keep it stirred so it doesn't compact and to prevent any anerobic pockets.

The 10 gallon tank has had sand for 1-1/2 years and the 37 gallon for just about a year and I've had no problems with compacting. I also used sand in my Betta tank since I had some left over (the 50 lb bag was plenty to do all 3 tanks).

Sand won't limit what types of fish you can have. In fact, some prefer it such as cories and loaches.

Last edited by jeaninel; 06-09-2009 at 05:56 PM.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #4 
ifish

i preferr gravel like rocks because its easyer to clean
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #5 
bettababe321

Thanks for the info jeaninel! I will deffinitely try it when I get a larger tank!
bettababe321 is offline   Reply With Quote