Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #481 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmel View Post
Got another to test you all with. My mom brought her betta, Ming, over for me to start caring for (mom's moving in next week). Petsmart sold him as a HM. He very obviously is not a HM. I haven't been able to get him to flare, but I believe it looks like he has some rose/feather tail genes. Very pretty boy. I also wonder if he's piebald or not.
Looks like a Feather Tail to me! He's beautiful, not sure if he'd be considered piebald since more of them it extends up the face where his does not. But I have a sneaking suspicion that he would still be considered one :)
Old 04-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #482 
Hadoken Kitty

Feathertailing/rosetailing is simply an over-branched HM. So, technically he is a halfmoon....just too much branching. (:
Old 04-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #483 
justmel

Yes, but they still list feather and rosetails, so I was trying to nail it down for my mom. Also, this guy is no way a HM, it would not reach close to 180. Is tail is long and flowing like a VT. I still haven't seen him flare, but without flaring it looks more like my VT's than my HM when he's relaxed.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #484 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hmm well I'm pretty sure that feathering and rose tail can only be HM's not VT. Maybe he's not flaring all the way though? I know it took my Remmy who is an HM a month to be comfortable and finally flare completely.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #485 
justmel

Could be. My mom's had him for quite awhile, but he's been in a little square thing that doesn't give him much room to move. From his appetite last night she hasn't been feeding him enough either. The little piggy ate twice what she normally feeds him, then at more again later. That's why I have him now. I've been talking to her for the last 2 weeks about everything I'm learning on the forums, so she brought him to me where she knew he'd get better care until she moved in. We'll wait and see until I can get him to flare then. I told her it might have to wait until he did.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #486 
loveiszen

Curious as to what type of female betta I own. Judging by the examples I guess a veil tail wild type coloring. But that break in her back fin makes me second guess it. The break doesn't seem to be a tear or rip either. Seems to be a clean normal split in her fin.
http://i.imgur.com/rWLyctq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6skIzOJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cFiqKcm.jpg

Last edited by loveiszen; 04-16-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Photos too large.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #487 
justmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveiszen View Post
Curious as to what type of female betta I own. Judging by the examples I guess a veil tail wild type coloring. But that break in her back fin makes me second guess it. The break doesn't seem to be a tear or rip either. Seems to be a clean normal split in her fin.
http://i.imgur.com/rWLyctq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6skIzOJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cFiqKcm.jpg
Color I am still trying to catch on to myself, so I'm not going to try that one. She's a very pretty coloration though.

As for tail type, I agree that she is VT. I think she may have had a chunk taken out of her caudal fin at some time that hasn't healed. With where it's placed I could be wrong though.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #488 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah looks like a wild type coloration and yes a VT. I actually kind of like the chunk taken out (sorry if that sounds mean), it kind of gives her this distinct personality which I think is cute. I love how clear the band is around her fins, I don't often see that.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #489 
loveiszen

Thanks justmel & lilnaugrum I fell in love with her coloration. Typically I find female Bettas pretty boring. It's just odd that the missing chunk is dead center and symmetrical. I guess I'll see as she gets older if it fills in. I plan on breeding her with one of my males. I have 2 VT makes and 1 HM.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #490 
donnaharris

Smile Fishy

I have a beautiful betta that i have had now for 3 months .I picked him because he was brown, felt sorry for him! but brown he has remained .he has his own bowl clean every day, put the water stuff in it blue rocks etc ,I mean i love this fish ok so I take good care of him... Maybe he is just brown??? He is fat sassy and healthy just never seen a brown one.. Any body know?? when I look it up, all I get is info on sick Bettas and Fishy is not sick, just brown Thanks
Closed Thread

Tags
alex wuz here : >3