Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #251 
BlackStripes

Thanks this is super helpful! :D
BlackStripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #252 
Mohawk

I am a very new member. (This is my first post) I didn't even know you could buy a baffle, much less make one! I put a small clamp on the air hose to reduce the amount of flow. Will this hurt the pump, fish or filter? In the past, I have punctured the hose until my betta was able to relax. Would a baffle be better?
Attached Images

Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #253 
EmmaBlake

Made a baffle today, my filter was the perfect size to slip the plastic bottle cutout right over the top of my filter, no tape required! My fish seems much more relaxed since I put the baffle on, Thanks for the thread! (Sorry the pic is a little big)

Name:  IMG_4221.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  61.7 KB
EmmaBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #254 
ConnieW

Thanks so much for this thread!! I finally got the flow in my tank nice for my betta!
ConnieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #255 
Namialus

Are plastic water bottles safe for fish tanks?
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #256 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yes, they are. I replied to your thread.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #257 
BittyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDiamond View Post

As jadaBlue mentioned the edges were a little ragged and jagged from the scissor cut and I was worried about my little guy's fins so I used a lighter to melt the edges and it's much safer now.
Great idea! I cut mine very straight and checked for snags but still was a bit worried about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaBlake View Post
Made a baffle today, my filter was the perfect size to slip the plastic bottle cutout right over the top of my filter, no tape required! My fish seems much more relaxed since I put the baffle on, Thanks for the thread!
I have the same filter and I didnt think about slipping it like that but maybe that will help my problem with splattering on the sides of the acyrlic and getting hard water deposits. Im gonna try it this way, thanks!
BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #258 
JennNP

I'm sorry if this has been answered, but how do you baffle an undergravel filter? I found an old thread that suggested putting tissue paper in the air pump tube. This worked, but the pump began making a weird noise. I was sure it would shorten the life of the pump.

Then I tried the water bottle idea, but I put it vertically so it would fit. I have been afraid my Betta would wander in there and get hurt or die. While I was searching this thread for how to baffle an UG filter, I read a post that this had happened to someone's Betta. I have already seen my Betta poking around in it, so I don't think this is the right method for me.

I really like the sponge idea, but I'm not sure how it would work with my filter. The filter I have came with the tank and hood I got from a neighbor (used). I think it's an old model because I can't find pictures of it online. Here's a quick pick with my cell..any ideas?
Attached Images

JennNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #259 
sushiisaboss75

Is there anyway to do this for the intake
sushiisaboss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #260 
BittyB

I have a new way of making my baffle! This seems a lot less bothersome to aesthetics than a bottle covering my filter. I got a clear straw and cut it on one side, I made little grooves on the side thats on the bottom so some water just flows down the side of the filter and some drip out from both sides. The plant below is not moving at all anymore.

Last edited by BittyB; 07-11-2013 at 09:09 PM.
BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote