Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #1 
Ange

New betta not doing well, please help

Hi, I've skimmed through a lot of posts, but to be honest, I'm a brand new fish owner and a lot of it is beyond my limited knowledge, so I really hope that someone can help me.

We have a new betta. he's in a 3 gallon tank and has been lethargic for the past 2 days. This morning I did some reading and thought that his water might be too cold, so I came home from work and put him in a sunny spot to warm him up. We got home from work and now see that he has a white fuzzy substance on his fins and body and his eyes are cloudy. He's barely moving and I think that whatever is happening it might be too late to help him.

Please help us. I thought I did everything that I was supposed to, according to the pet store guy. He's eating betta flakes, we used a water conditioner and are keeping the water at room temperature. No filter. He has a silk plant, as well as a moss ball in his tank.

ETA: he's been in our home since Friday of last week and until two days ago was doing great. We just did a 50% water change, thinking that might be the problem.
Ange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #2 
crowntail lover

He needs a heater....Not sunlight!
And you need to start feeding him a betta (only) pellet! You can find this at Walmart, PetSmart, PetCo or other LPS!!!
Brands to look for!!
Hikari
Tetra
and Topfin
Also...How often do you change his water??? In a 3 gallon you will need to change the water 100% once a week...And 50% water changes a week as well.
Also a pic would help, to see his condition!
Hope this helps!!
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum. You can put a heater in a 3 gallon. I think a 25 watt would be fine. You might want to switch to a good pellet food as Crowntail stated. Hikari betta bio gold is a good brand. The white stuff might be fungus. You can use Jungle Fungus Eliminator for that. You can change the water once a week on a 3 gallon. I have a 2 1/2 gallon and I do water changes once a week. Oncw you get a heater and keep up with water changes, I think he'll be fine. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #4 
crowntail lover

Yes anymore questions? Feel free to ask!
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #5 
Ange

Glowy didn't make it. After I posted this, we went out to Petland and the guy gave us some BettaFix. We ran home, put it in his tank but we were too late. Within a few hours, he was gone.

We are getting another one, but now I know what I really need to do. The guy at Petland told me that the betta kit I bought had absolutely everthing I needed, didn't say a word about a heater or pellets. I feel so terrible for just taking his word for it and not doing my own research, but he seemed so knowledgeable. Now I feel like I need to question everything he told me.

So, in a 3 gallon tank, I'll need a 25watt heater, a thermometor and I need to get some better food. 100% change once a week, rinsing everything and then filling with room temperature water.

Do I need to let the water heat up to the normal temp before putting him back in?

The guy sold me a moss ball to help keep the tank clean during the week between water changes. Is this helpful, or could it be harmful?

Is there any benefit to using the water conditioner that he sold me?

Thank you for your responses. I know I sound like an idiot and irresponsible fish owner. I feel terrible and I really want to learn the right way to care for the new one.
Ange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #6 
Vikki81207

NEVER EVER EVER listen to guys at the pet store. They do not know everything about bettas. Water needs to be at least 78 degrees. Get some pellets (feed 2-3 pellets every 12 hours or so). Water conditioner is good, it cleans out the chlorine and chemicals in the water.
Clean the water every so often. Do a 50% water change once a week and a full one every other or so.
You're not irresponsible, you just didn't know. It's okay. Now you know what to do. Keep to this site, it will help you lots.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #7 
oceangirl42

my friend has a betta and she keeps feeding it regularly and its in a fish bowl and hes been alive for a year and 4 months
oceangirl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #8 
Luchi

I'm so sorry your fish didn't make it. :[ Keep looking around on this site for lots of useful information. There is a difference between keeping your fish alive and keeping your fish alive and happy. As long as your heart is into taking good care of your fish then you'll do a good job! Good luck!
Luchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about your betta. If you get a heater, you would put the clean water into the tank (with the heater in it) and let the heater acclimate for about 20 minutes before turning it on. I don't think you need to warm up the water.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:53 AM   #10 
doraslilhitman

yea dont put your bettas in sunlight, it accelerates bacteria/fungal growth not to mention algae. plus last time i tried that i literally fried the poor fish and caused its dorsal and half the caudal to burn off =( but that was many years ago when i was young and stupid and lacking the technology of an aquarium heater xD
doraslilhitman is offline   Reply With Quote