Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #741 
LittleBettaFish

Haha I have tons of hendra fry growing out in a separate tank and the sneaky ones that managed to survive in with the parents. Before I moved them, they were spawning every few days it seemed. Luckily they do not have as many fry each spawn as splendens complex fish do.

I am jealous that your friend was able to get females separately. I have a couple lonely bachelors who are waiting for Mrs Right.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #742 
Wildbetta

Ahh I see, I didn't think about them constantly spawning. That is where mouthbrooders are easier cause they can't spawn like that and constantly end up with fry. My WC B.Midas, they spawn weekly for a couple of weeks(same day of the week --Tuesday) before he finally holds a spawn to term.

Yeah my friend, bought a pair from oversees and had them shipped in through a transhipper that actually ended up being a hassle. They got to her looking pretty thin but healthy. They then proceeded to spawn before she could get the second tank set up(she was planning on separate tanks until she wanted them to spawn). Not sure what happened to the female except she just wasted away afterwards. The male is doing great but I think she lost the fry because of a air conditioning issue with the area they were in. She was sooo very happy when I was able to get her another female.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #743 
LittleBettaFish

Poor rutilans juveniles are covered in velvet. Some have rubbed their scales off trying to scratch.

Then I look up and their bloody dad in a separate tank was rubbing himself on a leaf. Even with my torch I couldn't see any signs of parasites, although his gills were redder than normal. Might just hit that tank with salt and high temperature for a week or so as I am hesitant to use strong medication on everyone.

This velvet will be the death of me. Just when I think it has gone it rears its ugly head up again.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #744 
Wildbetta

My friend got her Maha females today. She is super pleased with them and the service she received from Setsuna. She will probably go through him for all of her wild bettas from now on. :D

So sorry for the velvet problem LBF. It always makes me wonder when certain people get stuff that keeps coming back if it has something to do with the water. Like something with the water lets the parasite get a hold better or something.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #745 
LittleBettaFish

Unfortunately, the species I keep according to quite a few people I have discussed it with, and from what I have read online, seem to just be extremely susceptible to velvet. Particularly when they are at the age my rutilans juveniles are where they get in their adult colouration.

I also don't like using copper to treat it, as copper can be toxic in the really soft water I have.

I did get rid of it fully after a month or so long battle with it, but it just seems to plague my grow-out tanks.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #746 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbetta View Post
My friend got her Maha females today. She is super pleased with them and the service she received from Setsuna. She will probably go through him for all of her wild bettas from now on. :D

So sorry for the velvet problem LBF. It always makes me wonder when certain people get stuff that keeps coming back if it has something to do with the water. Like something with the water lets the parasite get a hold better or something.
I happy that she's happy ^^

Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #747 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Unfortunately, the species I keep according to quite a few people I have discussed it with, and from what I have read online, seem to just be extremely susceptible to velvet. Particularly when they are at the age my rutilans juveniles are where they get in their adult colouration.

I also don't like using copper to treat it, as copper can be toxic in the really soft water I have.

I did get rid of it fully after a month or so long battle with it, but it just seems to plague my grow-out tanks.
speaking of disease i have a male siamorientalis here has like a white dot on his left cheek and one at the top of is left caudal tail im not sure what it is. have you guys come across this before?
Old 05-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #748 
efg321

I have a imbellis hybrid w/ the same trying salt and temp before going copper treatment! He also seemed to develop all types of various skin ailments...sliding away! darn!
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #749 
Setsuna

maybe i should try salt too
Old 05-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #750 
Setsuna

So i started a fundraiser and i call it "Project 30" what im trying to do is to sell wild bettas and raise some one for a family member in Thailand. Please help out. Project 30 can be found on Facebook. I will have all 7 Slpenden Species available. Just ask me know you need or are looking for