Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #1 
Clayton1089

Brine shrimp for free swimmers???

I am expecting to have my fry hatch within the next 24 hrs and it is my first time breeding. All I have is bbs to feed them and was just wondering if the bbs would be to big for their first meal? I started a culture of infusoria but not sure if it is yet ready or if it will work.... I could do the egg yoke but it seems that it would fowl the water pretty fast....
Clayton1089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #2 
Myates

Some people start with BBS as their first meal - I personally like to wait a week as I feel BBS can be too big for the smaller fry (fry and even smaller juveniles can choke on food, and I'm just overly paranoid with my fry lol). Continue with the infusoria and place lots of live plants in with the fry to help with their first meal. Just remember that newly hatched BBS is your best choice - as the BBS gets older and grows (usually within a day) they lose their egg sac (which is the healthiest part of them) and get bigger. So would make sure you have two hatcheries going 24hrs apart to make sure you have a constant supply of newly hatched BBS.

But give it a shot - many breeders stick with BBS as the first meal with little to no trouble, I don't see why you would have any issue with feeding it.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #3 
Clayton1089

ok then well good cause I just got home and I have about 200 fry that hatched for my first spawn hahaha
Clayton1089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #4 
Myates

lol good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote