Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #1 
EPERK1416

Exclamation I have no idea what I am doing!

I recently bought my two year old daughter a betta and we have had her for about two weeks. Well yesterday I went to feed her and I noticed little sac like bubbles floating on top of the water. I looked up pictured of their eggs and it looks just like what is in my daughters tank. I have no idea what to do with it. We have her fish in a small carrier tank like you would put a hermit crab in. If anyone has any advice on what I should do that would be great. I'm not positive they are eggs but if they are I do not want the babies to die so please help
EPERK1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:46 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum. Are you sure you have a female? Males have long, flowing fins and they blow bubblenests. During spawning the male picks up the falling eggs and puts them into the bubblenest. A female has shorter fins and has an eggspot or ovipositor between the ventral fins (the long dangly ones in front) and the bottom (anal) fin.It will look like a white dot. I hope this helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #3 
LeahK

It sounds like a bubble nest to me, too, so you've probably got a boy. There's no real eggs in the bubble nest, so no worries about babies.
And, even if your betta were female and those were eggs you've got, then they can't be fertilized without the presence of a male--so, either way, no babies :)
LeahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

I know what happened:

Females also blow bublenests (usually out of boredom or if the male is to lazy for his own good, lol)

She dropped her eggs:Females can get so excited that they just let their eggs drop. It's like when halfmoon male bettas flare to the point that their fins split. When this happens her parental instinct kicks in. She starts blowin bubbles like crazy (which the bubbles SUCK when females blow them since females dont really have a cement type spit that sticks them together). She tends her little nest for about a day and does things WAY different than a male would. In conclusion:she eats them :P

THEY ARE JUST EGGS. ANABANTOIDS (BETTAS AND GOURAMIS) REQUIRE THE MALE AND FEMALE TO BE IN THE SAME TANK AND TO EMBRACE FOR MATING.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #5 
EPERK1416

Thanks guys! I've been wanting to clean the tank out but I didnt want to kill the babies if there were any but now I know I was waaay off track haha thanks again!
EPERK1416 is offline   Reply With Quote