Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 02:07 AM   #1 
Skyr

My Betta is determined to swim against the current..

Out of all the space he has to himself in the 10 gallon tank, my betta seems to enjoy it best either leaning against the intake tube or fighting the current beneath the output. I've baffled the filter so much there's as little current as possible but he's determined to go right beneath what current there is and fight his way upward.

His fins are split, from either the last filter or maybe the lava rock I realized had sharper parts than I'd originally found and so I removed it. I'm afraid he's stressing them more this way and they won't heal.

The filter is an Aquaclear 20, on it's lowest setting and stuffed with filter sponge in the output. The water that goes through is trickling but right beneath there's still a minor current. I just bought this filter due to what reviews I found on here and due to the fact I could adjust it.

Maybe he's just not cut out for a filter... I might just get a smaller tank for him.. but it makes me sad due to not wanting to have him in a small 2 gallon.. and all the money I spent to set up a perfect tank for him..

Any ideas?
Skyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:31 AM   #2 
Seki

My plakat LOVES playing in the current from his filter. Are you sure it's the filter ripping your boy's fins? Might he be tailbiting instead?

I think swimming against the current can be an amusing pastime for some bettas, so I would investigate other possibilities as to the fin issue before putting him in a different tank or removing the filter. When I turn my plakat's filter off for water changes, he seems so confused by the lack of current and he usually hides in his pagoda until I turn the filter back on. He would be so disappointed if the current never returned!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:59 AM   #3 
Skyr

I think it may have been the intake on the old filter that had originally damaged his fins. New one I bought a prefilter for.

However I found out there was a portion of rock that I hadn't noticed was sharper than I had thought and have removed it today.

I guess I'm just concerned the current would make them worse, he is a HM and theres a couple to the base of the tail. When he's not fighting the current in other locations he barely moves his tail to swim to the surface. I read that current wouldn't help them heal, is that true?
Old 05-14-2013, 03:02 AM   #4 
Seki

I'm not sure about that, maybe. My doubletail's fins never healed, but to be fair, he was an epic tailbiter. Even when I took him out of the filtered tank and put him in quarantine he still kept biting off chunks of his tail.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can help ya. All I know is what my own fish like, I guess. :)
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:07 AM   #5 
Skyr

I hadn't considered he was doing it to amuse himself though. So you did help some, and perhaps you're right. At least he knows how to get out of the current to make his way up elsewhere to take a breath.

I might pick up a betta log or something to divert his amusement elsewhere maybe so it's not the only thing he's doing in the tank to give his fins a rest.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #6 
itsuki

my vt Nemo enjoys swimming across the output current, he seems to like some movement along the surface on the other hand my hm Jiro doesnt like surface tension, bettas are a finicky bunch with alot of personality :) u just gotta learn what they do and dont like from observation and guessing
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #7 
Skyr

I just realized part of the reason he likes staying by the intake tube, he seems to be able to see his reflection there.. I find the tank glass to be fairly reflective unfortunately. I just watched him flare at himself and lean against the intake tube to stare at him.. then he'd move to watch his reflection and winds up caught in the output flow.

I have removed some of the baffling though and he seems to like it better.

I don't know if he saw me watching him flare, or his reflection in my place but as soon as he looked over to me he came rushing to the side I'm on and flared at me..
Old 05-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Skyr my ct betta Perseus likes to swim against the current too he really seems to enjoy it...lol I have the floating Betta log and I put it right under the output to baffle it some and he loves to swim though it.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #9 
Fin Fancier

If you do get rid of the filter you won't need to put him in a smaller tank. My 10 gallon maintains a stable cycle with my sponge filter. My boy has delicate fins so I wanted something with little water movement, he loves it. All you need is the sponge and an air pump it works wonderfully. I do a 20% water change weekly and my nitrates never get above 15 - 20 ppm.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote