Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #11 
xjenuhfur

I just recently had to tear down my 10gal and move it. My otos had to live in a bucket for a bit and they didn't exactly enjoy it. I moved them back to the 10gal and they are flying everywhere. I barely even saw them before. I'm assuming they'll start disappearing and settling in after a bit.
Otos are finicky little creatures and are good little cleaners. But when I bought mine they had just recently been caught and shipped and they still only had 3 in stock and one was dead before I could snatch him up.
Mine hate zucchini, idk they just won't eat it, and if Golem isn't busy guarding the algae wafer I put in the tank then they gobble it up like crazy.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #12 
itsuki

honestly i started a npt so i could do water changes less. the plants are supposed to help break down most of the fish byproduct, the larger size of the tank dispersing its concentration and the lowly stocked tank to keep waste at a minimum. i dont think doing weekly religious water changes is nessacary but it depends on the needs of the tank, i can see reason if i had like 20 fish in the tank but i have 1 betta, 2 otos (1 might be dead, jumped out the tank or who knows), and 2 mystery snails. my tank may not be heavily planted as diane walstead's (the lady who wrote the book on npt's) but she stated that she was able to go up to 6 months without a waterchange, proving a good npt can for the most part support itself as a fully functional self enclosed eco system. but for now i will be changing out 25% of the water daily for the next few days just because of that dead oto i found in the tank.

my otos never touched wafers when i had them and ive started trying feeding the cucumbers again, but yesterday the 1 visible oto wasnt taking to it (i did microwave it for over a min to blanch it). i will eventually buy some more otos to make sure he's not lonely.
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #13 
jentralala
Reference Team

Diane also had lowly stocked tanks with tons of plants. Plants do help keep water cleaner, but they can't prevent the build-up of minerals, organics, and TDS.

This article will expain it much better than I ever could.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...hanges-117205/
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #14 
itsuki

thanks for the link, it was a good read but i think for now i will help with a 25% water change weekly and i will start using my test kit and graph all results then if nessacary up the percentage of water to be changed.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #15 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsuki View Post
honestly i started a npt so i could do water changes less.
Lazy. Ha ha, just kidding. I totally feel you on that one.

But seriously, Diana Walstad also recommends once or twice weekly water changes (sorry, forget exactly how much) in the beginning until the soil matures. These are needed until the soil stops releasing excess nutrients and until the beneficial nutrients set up shop within that soil. Although, according to Walstad's theory, WC's are not needed to get rid of excess TDS's etc, they are needed in the beginning. I haven't actually read Walstad's book (I've heard reading it is as tough as chewing leather), but there's lots of accurate info on the AquaticPlantCentral forum if you haven't checked it out yet- she is/was a moderator there.

With the zucchini- don't lose heart. They'll figure it out. Mine won't even deign to look at the zucchini until it's been in the tank for 24 hours- after the first 24 hours, though, they start noshing. I leave it in there for 48 hours.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #16 
itsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci Lu View Post
But seriously, Diana Walstad also recommends once or twice weekly water changes (sorry, forget exactly how much) in the beginning until the soil matures. These are needed until the soil stops releasing excess nutrients and until the beneficial nutrients set up shop within that soil. Although, according to Walstad's theory, WC's are not needed to get rid of excess TDS's etc, they are needed in the beginning. I haven't actually read Walstad's book (I've heard reading it is as tough as chewing leather), but there's lots of accurate info on the AquaticPlantCentral forum if you haven't checked it out yet- she is/was a moderator there.
oh i read that part: its 8 wks, which i did wait out before even planting and a little while after for placing fish