Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #1 
Nightfish

My betta doesn't get along...

with my goldfish-he really hurt one, and though he lived, the betta had to go in a bowl (I'd put him in the other smaller aquarium, unfortunately the new fry are in there) so he sits there, like he's mocking me-he's always hated the bowl I am gonna invest in a small-probably 1 gallon aquarium for him, "Amoeba" is alive (god knows how) and is in a bowl until he can heal up a bit, but I don't want the betta to hurt any more of the fish hit or miss with betta's I think... my real query is, until I get the little tank-what do I do with the betta-where's best to put him?
Nightfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #2 
AngelicScars

Um, Betta and goldfish have different water requirements so they shouldn't be housed with each other anyway.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #3 
Nightfish

I have always put them together-as goldfish are rather open on water requirements lol I finally got a thermometer and the betta is in warmer water the betta just went ape **** and attacked one of the fish-I don't know why anyways he's not with the fish anymore, he is in a bowl and he is looking at me what do I do with him until i can get his own aquarium?

Last edited by Nightfish; 06-18-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #4 
LeahK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfish View Post
I have always put them together-as goldfish are rather open on water requirements...

Goldfish are hardy, and thus tolerant of varying water conditions, but I think AngelicScars was talking about the different temperature requirements for goldies and for bettas. Bettas thrive in warm temps (80 being good) and goldies like it cooler.

For example:
"Your goldifsh's temperature should never rise above 73 Fahrenheit, and ideally should remain between 65 and 68, so you will need a thermometer. Keeping a goldfish above 72 for long periods of time will result in Oxygen deprivation, which can cause nerve damage, heart damage, and can seriously hamper the immune system, making them more susceptible to many diseases, from easily treatable Ick to nearly untreatable swim bladder infections." --http://www.firsttankguide.net/goldfish.php

Many sites will tell you never to mix goldies with tropcal fish like bettas:
"Lastly, keep the tank cold, goldfish cannot be mixed with tropical fish, and indeed it is not even a good idea to mix them with other fish." --http://www.mypets.net.au/flex/articles/528/goldfish.cfm

But, there's a ton of conflicting info out there on goldie care. Either way, it sounds like you're doing the right thing to heal up the injured one.

....he is in a bowl and he is looking at me what do I do with him until i can get his own aquarium?
As for the betta, I guess just try to keep him warm and happy until he gets his new tank. He won't sulk forever
LeahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #5 
Nightfish

how do I keep him warm? (The internet seems to be a conflicting jumble of words-some sites tell you one thing, others another thing...so confusing!)
Old 06-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #6 
LeahK

What's the temp of his bowl water now?
Old 06-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #7 
Nightfish

about 70 at most, (if I was lucky)
he's in that bowl I dislike so
Old 06-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #8 
LeahK

Quote:
(The internet seems to be a conflicting jumble of words-some sites tell you one thing, others another thing...so confusing!)
lol! It's true. My fish would all be dead if it weren't for people at forums like this who helped me decide what to do.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #9 
Nightfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahK View Post
lol! It's true. My fish would all be dead if it weren't for people at forums like this who helped me decide what to do.

too true, too true!
I haven't had a fish die in a long time (poor Amoeba died though) but he survived longer then I thought...
I'll go do the mummifying thing and bury him at sea...
Old 06-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #10 
LeahK

Quote:
about 70 at most, (if I was lucky)
he's in that bowl I dislike so
Yeah, 70 is pretty chilly for a betta. But, the thing is, I don't know if there are heaters that are safe to use in little bowls.
Maybe someone else can correct me on that?
Is there any way maybe you could put him underneath a lamp? Or turn up the heat in the room where you've got the bowl?
Cool temps won't necessarily harm a betta, at least in the short-term, but it will lower his metabolism and make him very lazy. Maybe that's why he's just sitting there staring at you