Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #11 
Sena Hansler

I looked up the names of the fish: Convict cichlid, pink convict and the large jack dempsey. Idk that they were even compatible -.-

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 05-16-2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: wrong fish name
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #12 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
That fish would attack you if you put your hand in its tank. It used to try and bite your hand if you were feeding it or doing water changes. Not in the sort of curious way of a betta, but in a sort of 'get the hell out of my territory' way.

So yes, going a human is not out of the realm of possibility haha

Also, that synspillum liked arranging his own tank. He used to push rocks around and dig in the gravel to make holes and mounds. I think a lot of cichlids are into 'home decorating'.
Thats what I've figure. He will only grow to 4 inches max but he is not in the least bit intimidated by me. I wanted to test him so i put my face right up to "his corner" to see what he would do if he would ddo and he didn't back away he actually came right up to the glass...but it looked like he noticed the glass between us so decided biting wouldn't work.. lol However he did attack the vacuum as I cleaned out extra food. He was fine till he saw the food going up into it then he got pissed. And yes they both like to decorate their tank. My sand scaping was not how they wanted it and they are currently both very busy redoing it. The acai built an impressive 3 in tall mountain on the front right and the demasani cut ridges around the log and leading to his hole. I've put more rocks in there so I think there has been a little more peace settled but not 100%.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #13 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I looked up the names of the fish: Convict cichlid, pink convict and the large jack dempsey. Idk that they were even compatible -.-
I lucked out. I think you have to not only match by African or south american but also but body of water bred from and what not. Bananas! I have to double check but I think both of mine are from lake malawi and are herbivores. I didn't actually know their lakes until I got home with them
Old 05-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #14 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

Correct on them both being from Lake Malawi.

Now, Demansoni, aggressive, territorial and yes will go after you, I had several and they would always go after my hand when I was python cleaning the tank.

Acei, nice, peaceful, usually enjoy swimming at the top of the water column.

Cichlids in general in the wild, live in a sandy, rocky bottom Lake Malawi, there are very few plants in the lake except where rivers join it.

As some have mentioned overstocking with good filtration is almost a must for cichlids, 55g being really the absolute minimum tank size at adulthood, this is for African Cichlids, some of the larger South American ones, 125g is minimum.

Rocks, rocks and more rocks, decorate the aquarium with yes rocks, or at least plenty of places to break up lines of sight so fishes can really see each other often. Part of the reason for a larger tank as this cannot be easily done in a smaller tank.
The issue with them going after one another is they look very similar to each other in terms of color, cichlids dont like each other very much.

Keeping a harem of 1 male to 4 female on most species, spreads the aggression from a single fish to multiple fish, unfortunately though, the Demansoni given it is very aggressive is in the super harem group of 1 male to at least 6-8 females.
They can be kept together with acei although I would not recommend it even when small in anything less than a 40g breeder, once the fish are 1.5-2" (inches), they start showing their adult traits, namely for the aggressive ones being a PITA. This is when you can safely keep them together for a bit, anything above this size and you HAVE to remove them if there is too much aggression and lip locking otherwise you will have dead fish.

Once you get the bigger tank size, then if you still want to keep them, perhaps we can offer suggestions as to stocking.

@Sena Convict and JD are compatible together, although the convict will be eaten/ killed if they are way smaller than the JD. JD is one of the most aggressive cichlids available in the hobby.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #15 
Agent13
Reference Team

Thanks! Yes I plan to do 50-60 or 75 gallon tank depending on how easilly I can make a group of males and will it work at all. I obviously think I need to stick wih Mbuna males since their diet and size will be similar. Once at that size tank. I am thinking to get that ready in about a month. The Acei seem to yes be a top dweller and more peaceful however right now he seems to be passive aggresive but I assume this is due to now only having 1 tank mate but not exactly his kind. And also not an ideal tank size for 2 males. Even though they the same size the Acei doesn't want to fight the demosani so I am thinking they will be ok. Will When I get my larger tank I need to get like an array of Mbunas that are max 6 inches and no more demasani's ? I'm confused and stuck at this part. lol
Old 05-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #16 
Agent13
Reference Team

Wait!! No way!! Tazman you have yellow labs, Acei an rusty's in 1 tank??!! Yeee! This works I guess. Was this an easy group to build because those guys where all on my list of wants even before I knew about which lake could live with which lake??.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Jack Dempsey is the most aggressive... Great. Lol. I figured by his wide mouth as she had four in there and that small one had been eaten -.-; oh and the pleco (that's right. He killed the 8" pleco. Never ate it... Just killed it..) -.-; I'll stress a bigger tank to her.

Good luck on your cichlids!!! Maybe one day when I get an 80-100 gallon tank I'll set up a cichlid tank. BTW how do you tell genders?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #18 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent13 View Post
Wait!! No way!! Tazman you have yellow labs, Acei an rusty's in 1 tank??!! Yeee! This works I guess. Was this an easy group to build because those guys where all on my list of wants even before I knew about which lake could live with which lake??.
They are all very peaceful fish, I did this tank after running an all male peacock tank for 3 years which was a nightmare to keep happy but very colorful.

Generally in terms of compatibility, Lake Malawi fish will go well with Lake Victoria, Lake Tanganyika the water is extremely hard, even too hard for most Lake Malawi cichlids so they cant be mixed very well.

Never mix, the South American, New World or Central American Cichlids with Africans, they generally require totally different water parameters and unless you have an enormous tank, it doesnt work.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote