Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Cichlids compatability...

So, a friend had me care for her cichlids. She has a tall, 38 gallon tank... Which I noticed they were not active, they hid a lot, and the largest attacked the pink fella often...

So, I moved them after they ended up with the beginning of columnaris into my 30 gallon (too small I know, but that is all I have) regular, where they were treated with useless fungus cure liquid... Then malachite green with excellent results. So far they have been decent... ish....

Jack Dempsey: About 8 inches
Pink Convict: About 6 inches
Grey Convict: About 4 inches

Are they really that compatible? I told her the tall tank did not work well as they prefer wider territory, and do not use anything above 12 inches (I definitely noticed this in her tank... Them eating was next to impossible!)

The pink one went through the last direct treatment of malachite green, since his fungal infection was not clearing up as well or as fast. He is also the most picked on. The littlest just hides.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #2 
jeaninel

They are in too small of a tank. They should be in at least a 75 gallon tank. That is a big issue with keeping cichlids together, there has to be enough territory for them. It's hit or miss on them getting along but keeping them in a proper sized tank with plenty of wood and caves for hiding spots helps immensely.
Posted via Mobile Device
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #3 
wish4coner

I've been raising cichlids, and usually stick with harps and peacocks. The ones you have a very aggressive and territorial so, I would not keep them in a 29 for very long (depends on size right now). Have lots of plants, caves, etc for them to hide in for territory. But, get a bigger tank asap. I am pretty sure I am getting a 75 gallon, on sale at Petsmart right now..gonna move them in there and use my 29 for a grow out tank for my fry.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #4 
Agent13
Reference Team

I'm wondering if the grey is female. You do have ones from the same waters. And you have 1 carnivore and 2 omnivores so feeding can be the same or similar. I guess the short answer is yes.. But if the grey convict is female then no.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

The reason they are in the 30, is because she has that silly 38 tall. Which allows probably the width of 15 gallons for them to hide and claim territory. At least in my tank, there has not been any issues other than big ol' boy has claimed 70% of the tank The other two get the back sides.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #6 
Agent13
Reference Team

Funny I was just about to post about mine! I think thats the power play bettwen my two right now. Who gets the front "showcase" spot. They both want prime property so I need to rearange so both can feel to some degree prime spot without giving up too much space. These are weird weird fish. But awesome once you do a full psychoanalysis on them haha. This is like chess game trying to stock a tank and not kill any fish.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

I know x.x Afterwards, my tank is going to my nephew, under my watchful eye. He will be getting a Betta with bottom dwelling critters of sorts, or all community fish and no betta. Dunno yet But glad to lure - errr - bring someone over to owning fish properly.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

On a good note, my friend picked up her fish. She is also getting a bigger tank for these fellas, and going to use the 38 tall for community fish.