Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2013, 12:17 AM   #11 
LittleBlueFishlets

Regarding the effect of antibiotics on kidney function - yes, actually, there are studies done. (Most drugs are metabolized either by the liver or the kidneys.)

"Kanamycin can cause severe damage to the kidneys and can also cause hearing loss. You will need to be closely monitored by your health care provider. Be sure your doctor is aware of any other medications you may be taking."
http://www.drugs.com/cdi/kanamycin.html

And if you want to see one of the studies:
"The effect of kanamycin on the kidney function and the possibility of decreasing its side effect of pyrimidines were studied in240 children at the age of 2 month to 14 years (161 children with acute and chronic osteomyelitis and 79 children with staphylococcal destruction of the lungs)...."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/999257

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 05-15-2013 at 12:19 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:38 AM   #12 
Tikibirds

Intersting...
But has anyone done a study of the effects of these meds on aquarium fishies? or is it all human based? Although I suppose the results would be the same

Last edited by Tikibirds; 05-15-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Tikibirds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:53 AM   #13 
LittleBlueFishlets

Apegrape85 - How is your fish doing with the Epsom salt?
Hopefully, the Epsom salt alone will take care of his buoyancy issues.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikibirds - I don't want to hijack this thread from Apegrape85, but in answer to your question, it probably depends on who is willing to provide funding for studies... I can't get access to the entire article, but I found this:
Acute Toxicity of Kanamycin to Steelhead Trout: "Kanamycin administration at the recommended dosage for the treatment of fish infected with species of Aeromonas and Pseudomonas was found to be highly toxic to steelhead trout. Descriptions of pathological alterations, both gross and microscopic, as well as plasma cortisol concentrations are provided."
Old 05-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

That's why I said I think it's so difficult to cure dropsy. Dropsy is just a symptom, caused by fluid buildup, caused by organ failure/malfunction. If parasites or bacterial infections caused this organ failure, and the only surefire way to treat THOSE is to used medications that can harm the internal organs, then we're running in circles, aren't we?

I don't think it's probably possible to reverse organ failure and we can't give fish organ transplants like with humans, so dropsy usually kills the first time or comes back a couple months later and kills that time. I think the key here is diagnosing internal bacterial infections before dropsy happens, but that can be difficult if dropsy is the only symptom.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #15 
apegrape85

Died overnight...

Thank you all for your help,

Sadly I woke up this morning and Dr. cornwallis had passed. He had acctually seemed to be a bit more spunky last night (still not eating though).

I really don't even want to get another one. I've never been one of those people who says "its just a fish" or "just a mouse" or anything like that. I don't know if I could be responsible if another one didn't make it (even if it wasn't my fault).

Thanks again.

April
apegrape85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #16 
LittleBlueFishlets

I'm sorry for your loss.

Sometimes, no matter what we do, they just don't make it.....