Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #1 
NoviceBettaKeeper98

Exclamation Betta has a lump

Hello everyone,

I bought my betta fish about a week ago from Petco. He's in a 1.5 gallon tank with a log and gravel and a live plant and a filter. Yesterday night, he developed a huge lump underneath his mouth that I've never seen before...He hasn't been eating, although I've offered him pellets. I haven't changed his water yet, because I'm scared he'll get even more stressed out. The tank is a bit cold (70 degrees) but I have a Marina C10 heater being shipped right now. Should I change his water? Is the lump a tumor or something? If I have to change his water, should I do a 100% change?
I'm really worried...
Thanks!
NoviceBettaKeeper98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Pictures would help :)
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #3 
NoviceBettaKeeper98

One of the pictures taken from the top view shows how large his head and front body have become...I have no idea what the problem is. I'm going to get my water tested at Petco tomorrow to see if the water's a problem. My heater is scheduled to arrive on Monday, so what do I do until then? Should I change the water?
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sorry...I'm a little uncertain of which bump you mean? Are you talking about his stomach? If not, would it be possible if you could circle the area you are talking about and then upload the picture again?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #5 
NoviceBettaKeeper98

Yup :D I've circled the lump.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh lol, that's just his stomach!

It will get bigger when he eats, although when you get his stomach to that size it's definitely good to not feed him anymore! But that's how they're supposed to look when fed well :)
Old 05-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #7 
NoviceBettaKeeper98

Whoa really?! I was under the impression that all this time, he wasn't eating. I have only given him a few pellets a day. I didn't even feed him yesterday. Maybe he's eating the pellets when I'm not there... Is that possible? I won't feed him for a while :) I should go ahead and change the water then right?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You should never leave pellets in because that will hurt the ammonia levels and make them rise which isn't good for your boy.

Put the pellet in and if he doesn't eat it within a minute, or before it starts to sink take it out and try the next day. It is possible he is bloated a bit, is he pooing at all?

And yes you can change the water.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #9 
NoviceBettaKeeper98

I don't visibly see poo...I'm not sure if he's bloated. I am going to do a water change now, so hopefully that'll get rid of some of the pellets there. Hopefully with the water test at Petco tomorrow and the heater that will come soon, he will go back to normal size. I was thinking of just doing a 100% water change. Does that sound like a good idea?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah a 100% would be good, just make sure you acclimate him properly since I assume you'll want to put his temp back up around 80?

If you have the money at some point it would definitely benefit you if you bought either the API's Master Liquid Test Kit or at least the pH and Ammonia tests kits so you know exactly how much ammonia is in your tank so it doesn't hurt your guy (ideally it needs to be a 0 all the time) But I know we don't all have money right away.

His poo should be orange/brown and kind of curly, if it's white and stringy then there is a problem.

But for now you should fast him about 3 days or until you see him poo. It might be easier if you left the gravel out for this time just so you can be certain, if not that's fine too. If he poo's tomorrow and his swelling goes down then that's good, continue on like nothing happened :)