Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #11 
Chevko

Oohhh, okay. I didn't know/remember this. Primary thing I'm concerned about is how big they'll get and we want to get a number of them.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #12 
Riverotter

Gouramis are anbenatoids like Bettas are, and many of them are also bubble nest breeders. There are many species that come in all different sizes.

For your 40 gallon, I think I'd recommend a small school of sailfin mollies. They come in several color varieties, so you can easily ell individuals apart, are livebearers, easy care, with intricate behavior patterns - the males dance and display for the females.
I'd go with 3 females and 2 males.

They'll want warm, slightly brackish water.
Then, to fill out the tank, I'd get a glassfish and a couple of bumble bee gobies. The gobies will help keep your molly population under control.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #13 
djembekah

Idk your water params (hardness and ph are particularly important for fish stocking). softer water is better for certain fish, and still harder for others. putting fish in the wrong type of water can severely shorten their life span
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by djembekah; 05-17-2013 at 01:14 PM.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #14 
Chevko

@riverotter
I've read that several molly species actually prefer freshwater to brackish or otherwise live rather happily in fresh as they brackish - is this just certain species? I would love to get mollies but boyfriend is adamant about choosing the first five... I may be able to talk him into sailfins though :D before the suggestion i've seen them before and love their look - I didn't know they came in different colors though, thought only black. mostly been trying to talk him into dalmatians but I think I could get him onto sailfins :D might have to special order them from PetCo but I don't mind :3

@dj
It's not set up. It has no params. We need a stand first and the equip for it.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #15 
djembekah

No, sorry, not ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Water hardness (GH and KH) you can test from the tap, and it's really important to know, like i said. Certain fish shouldn't be stocked in hardwater, and certain fish shouldn't be stocked in softwater. knowing the GH and KH would really help in knowing what we can recommend :)
Old 05-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #16 
Chevko

Ah, okay. Yeah, I see what you're saying now. All I can really tell you is that it's city chlorinated water (SoCo StL and enough of it smells like a damned pool) and I don't have a testing kit =\ I typically just put a touch of Prime in it and those freshwater I currently have are just fine with it, but then again the boys are pretty damn hardy.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #17 
Riverotter

Sailfins are very happy in brackish water. I used to live by the Peace River in FL (part of their natural range) and you'd find them in the ocean near the river sometimes, perfectly happy. Also, way up the river where the water was 100% fresh - they are pretty tolerant as far as saline levels go.

And yes, they come in MANY colors, black, gold, white, dalmatian on either white or gold background, and the natural wild color is actually very striking in person. All the iridescence doesn't photgraph well but it really is lovely. They've got so much blue and green in the speckles that I'm surprised there are no blue or green varieties yet.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #18 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
No, sorry, not ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Water hardness (GH and KH) you can test from the tap, and it's really important to know, like i said. Certain fish shouldn't be stocked in hardwater, and certain fish shouldn't be stocked in softwater. knowing the GH and KH would really help in knowing what we can recommend :)
Isn't this stuff adjustabe to some degree?? I have 1 tank that HAS to be at 8-8.4 ph and hard water . And all the rest are better at 7 with softer nuetral water so I have adjusted with the substrate and rock and such on the one that stays high PH and hardness. I've had no problems keeping different perams. Sure it's important to know but I don't think that shouldmake you stear clear of certain fish. I think it's just important to put together fish who all require the same or very similar perams then figure out how to make them happy and how to adjust if need be safely.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:31 AM   #19 
djembekah

Well yeah, its adjustable, and if you have the means you can change it, but its sooo much easier to stock fish that are more suited to the water one has.

I'm actually trying to harden my water for my rabbit snails and the plants I'm trying to grow. my tap water is just sooooo soft. It can change over time if you live in a city and use city water too. when i first started my water was pretty neutral, but after i spent a bunch of money on snails i noticed my pH was down at like 6.4. so I've been working on adjusting that and hardening. i would have waited on the snailsif i had realized it changed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #20 
Backlash

If he likes Cichlids, and wants a smaller variety then what about some Kribensis.. Another choice would be some Rams..
Backlash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
40 gallon tank