Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #11 
jentralala
Reference Team

I treat mine like my other fish, in that she has a planted, heated tank tailored to her needs.

I think there is a difference to treating a betta 'like your children' and then treating them like a decoration in a bowl.

I take care of my fish the same way I take care of my dogs and cats. A top quality food, entertainment, and a suitable environment for them. I strive to provide the absolute best for them not because I think they're my kids, but because they are living, breathing creatures that are dependent on me to provide for them. It really reflects on a person how they treat their animals.

Betta fish shouldn't be considered 'privileged' to live in a large, warm, well maintained tank, the same as a dog shouldn't be considered privileged to live in the house and have his/her needs looked after.

Just a bit of an interesting tidbit for you.

"Harro Hieronimus, chair of the German Livebearer Society and the International Rainbowfish Association, was asked to create for the German Ministry of Agriculture a set of minimum requirements for the humane care of fish. His expert opinion has been translated into law in Germany. He maintains that fish must have a minimum volume of 13 gallons of water in an aquarium approximately 24 inches by 12 inches by 12 inches in size. Hieronimus states, "Keeping fish permanently in smaller tanks is cruelty against animals and [in Germany] may be prosecuted by law."
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #12 
xShainax

I don't, I treat my cat like my baby though since I raised her since she was 6 weeks old, and they are turning 7 in July
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #13 
Tonksy

I respect them and care for them as best I can and am protective over them and interact with them daily. IMO animals should be treated just as equally as we would treat ourselves. I wouldn't compare them with childre, but I do give them as much as I can. :)
Tonksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #14 
Rana

Granted I don't have kids, but no I don't treat any of my pets the same I would children. I make sure I give them the best life I can, that their nutrition and housing and entertainment meet their needs, but at the end of the day they are not humans. That doesn't mean I'm not attached, because I am- my pets are a part of my family, they have personalities and depend on me for care- but they don't compare to my siblings or parents or hypothetical children.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #15 
Kanra Chan

The good thing about betta fish is that they are not like normal fish.

When they are taken care of, they have a vibrance of personality and intelligent curiosity that is unique of any other fish. This is why I chose to have one.

My betta enriches my life because he tries to understand me. This is not an exaggeration, healthy bettas are extremely interested in what goes on outside their bowls, and they try to comprehend what they see. This is why you can train them and teach them tricks. So likewise, I try to understand him.

pet 1 |pet|
noun
a domestic or tamed animal or bird kept for companionship or pleasure and treated with care and affection : the pony was a family pet.

My betta is not my child, he is my pet.
Kanra Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #16 
Elsewhere

I may not have children myself, but I do care for them. I don't care for my fish like I do those kids, so they aren't my children. I do love them and care for them and spoil them like nuts, and I can spend hours sitting with them and watching them swim. I can't have a bond with a fish like that of a human, but my fish ARE pretty awesome!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #17 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanra Chan View Post
The good thing about betta fish is that they are not like normal fish.

When they are taken care of, they have a vibrance of personality and intelligent curiosity that is unique of any other fish.
It's not so unique - Cichlids, goldfish, loaches, just to name a few, all share those qualities. Bettas are very personable, no doubt, but once you've kept cichlids and goldfish, you'll see what I mean
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #18 
LittleBettaFish

I don't treat any of my animals like children because they are animals, not humans. I think that anthropomorphism and humanising of pets has done a great disservice to many animals.

It's like when I read threads about how bettas are 'lonely' and in need of 'friends'. That to me, is the wrong attitude to have, particularly with something like a semi-aggressive fish.

I treat my bettas exactly like I do every other fish I own. They get good food, a comfortable life, and a peaceful end. That to me, is just responsible pet ownership.

I also agree that a lot of species of fish behave similar to bettas. Killifish are one, gouramis another, as well as the fish Jaysee mentioned above. Even my schooling fish became quite friendly and tame once I'd had them a while. They would swarm my arm, peck at my fingers and follow me around like a betta would.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #19 
bannlow2471

Well, I don't have human children, and really don't want any, so I do sometimes refer to my pets as my "children." I have a great deal of love and affection for them, and enjoy caring for and nurturing them, and seeing them happy and healthy, but I have no delusions about them being other than what they are, and I don't try to make them something they're not, or use them to try to fill a void in my life not met by humans. Ultimately, my "spoiling" of them is not spoiling at all, I don't believe - but merely trying to provide them with the best possible care that their particular species requires, which is what I owe to any living creature who is dependent upon me for its care and well-being.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #20 
Polkadot

I love them,look after them,talk to them,play with them & care about them,like I do with all my pets.If I could cuddle & smooch them like I do with my dogs & cat I would.They are part of my family.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote