Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #1 
coreyh

plants for small tanks

So I've been wanting to put live plants in my tanks since I brought them home and on Monday I bought an anubis from my LPS on sale for 1.99. It was supposed to go into my ten gallon community tank, but I saw that my betta in his 3 gallon kritter keeper, had a slightly ripped caudal fin and I immediately yanked all the plastic plants and added the anubis. It's doing really well and my betta loves lying on the leaves that are just below the surface (while completely ignoring the betta hammock).

So now I'm wondering if the anubis can stay in this tank and what other plants I can add to it as well as add to my 2.5 gallon.

*the anubis is currently rubberbanded to a rock in the tank and is already wrapping around it, I love that about this plant since I can move it around without having to dig it up and stress it out (do plants get stressed...) so any plants similar to this would be awesome.

Thank you for any help!
coreyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #2 
10asartin

Java ferns might be a good option. Its a low light plant and is very hardy. You would anchor it just like the anubias
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #3 
coreyh

Thanks, I'll look into that!

I've been doing crazy amounts of plant research (something I should have done prior to bringing a plant home) and it says anubias doesn't like direct light, which is fine because my three gallon kritter keeper has the plastic top that blocks some of the light, however my 2.5 has a clear top and a MUCH brighter light, how could I make a little shady spot for future anubias (I'm definitely going to get more, for 2 dollars, how could I not)
Old 05-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Bolbitis is another plant that can be used similar to anubias and java fern. You can tie it to a rock or ornament with cotton/fishing line and it doesn't mind being removed for water changes.

Only thing you do have to be careful of, is that you don't purchase emersed grown bolbitis. This will die off and new leaves will have to grow back in.

Mosses are also low maintenance, as is riccia (it can get everywhere though). I used to have riccia floating at the top of some of my tanks and it forms a nice dense mat that my bettas used to like to rest on. Subwassertang is another option.

All of these plants can be left loose, or tied down.

They will also have no issue with being removed for water changes.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #5 
gorillakev

$1.99 for Anubias?!!! Wow that's pretty cheap I usually pay triple that price.
Try hornwort.
gorillakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:32 AM   #6 
peachii

We got some hygro http://www.tricker.com/Item/p-greenhygo and no matter what i do to it, where i cut it or how many times i move it - it seems to not die. It lives in the bright light tanks, and the low light LCD 5 galllons. In the 5 gallons grow much slower then the high light bigger tanks but it still looks healthy and happy. We have so much of it that when i trimmed the tanks the other day I had to throw it away because I didn't have room in my extra plant tank for any more.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #7 
coreyh

Thanks everyone, I'm leaning toward getting more anubias from the petstore and ordering a few smaller varieties. Since the one I have has me addicted, went from slightly brown to a vibrant, dark green in less than a day in my tank so I'm thinking it's a good match. Also going to order some java fern and look into some type of moss for the top. All of the plastic plants are being returned tomorrow and will be replaced with real ones. I think the bettas will be much happier.

As will the livebearers in the community once the anubias and java fern eventually outgrow the small tanks.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:45 AM   #8 
Agility4fun

Here is my 2.65g.

http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=54274

Along with the anubias and swords, I have some Anarchis bits floating at the top from a recent trim in another tank. I'm hoping to plant them when they grown out a bit more. I also have some frogbit floating too.

Marigold loves the swords, he'll swim up through the leaves and kind of float in the middle.

Get more plants!
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote