Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #1 
wish4coner

Spawn Log Started for second batch of fry!

First, the parents:
Name:  violetred.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  50.9 KB
Name:  female2ndbreed.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  34.3 KB

Removed female 2 days ago. I will say, this spawn took place during a storm so, I am sticking with this method. I also dosed heavily on the IAL. I have noticed the fry seem to do extra well with this method. I am also adding a small amount of prime, some moss balls and snails, when they grow bigger.

Looked in tank today and noticed "hair like" tails hanging down and Dad looking very busy. Dad made two bubble nests--one is inside the cup and the other outside of it so, he is making a lot of work for himself. I am naming him Bob NON-Vila. He certainly isn't the best at construction plans. :)

This is day one of the spawn. They are still eating off the egg sacks and dad is still putting them back into the next. I can't tell how many and can't disturb the tank. I can see many "dark spots" and, every now and then, you see a little speck move horizontally.

I have already started my second MW culture tonight, and it will be ready for the fry when they are out of the egg sacks.

Since it worked so well the last time, with my having over 40 (that I can count) from the first successful breed, I am doing everything the same. I am only using imported IAL from Malaysia. I boiled a whole batch and now have full containers. This is a big savings.

Secondly, I left lights on, day and night until the fry were free swimming, horizontally. I will do this again. I bought very inexpensive clip on lights. It works well as, it lights up multiple tanks, or it can be moved to light up one. It also helps with warmth at the top, even though I have a good heater inside, and temp set at 82 degrees. I have half wrapped with bubble wrap (thicker, to retain humidity and warmth, which is over the bubble nest. I used plastic wrap to cover the rest. This will also help get the mail out, once the babies are free swimming.

Will check progress in morning. Also trying a spawn for my 3rd set. Unfortunately, the male seems uninterested. This will be the last female I put in with him. If this doesn't work, I will give him a few more months. He may be two young.

Yippee!!
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:54 AM   #2 
Fabian

I like the colour of the males!!
But his head looks a little 'arched'.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:20 AM   #3 
wish4coner

Day 2-Fry free swimming

The fry are the size of a sharpened pencil tip. Dad is still tending to them, but I may remove him tomorrow. They are active and in different areas. I will check on how dad is acting, tomorrow.

I began feeding them, this morning, egg yolk, with MW. I mix it up in a medicine bottle, and then use a medicine dropper to put it in. Since they seem to be everwhere, as Dad had made so many bubble nests for them, I had to go in, very carefully to give them the food. Bubble nest is completely gone but, they are congregating everywhere in the spawning bin. I had to angle the medicine dropper, in all different directions.

Since the bubble nest is no longer there, I removed the styrofoam cup. and added a grade a++ indian leave instead. Everyone doing fine so far. I can't even closely get a count but, it looks like many. I fed them 3 times today. They are in bed for the night. :)
Old 05-12-2013, 02:36 AM   #4 
wish4coner

Day 3, 2 am..

Fry doing well. There are a LOT of them. I can't tell how many. I did put a couple of very tiny snails in, until they are a bit bigger, to help clean up the spawning bin. I hope to have them at a stage, like the last spawn where, I can put the sponge filter in, sometime this next week.

They are eating well. I have given them two doses of egg yolk, mixed in with IAL extract. I also have given 2 feedings of MW. They seem to attract to them all, very well.

I am guessing over 100 fry but, I will see how many survive.

Tank temp at 83. IAL fresh leaves, moss balls and one plant in the tank. 2 small red snails (pea sized) in as well.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #5 
wish4coner

Day 4, 12:46am Pic Heavy

Out of all of them, these came out the best. You can see how tiny they are...there are a bunch under the bubble wrap but, I can't really disturb them and the camera couldn't capture them. These are just a few--4 days old.

Name:  fry2C.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  fry2A.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  19.9 KB

Name:  fry2B.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  16.7 KB
Old 05-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #6 
wish4coner

Day 6--May 16, 2013
Fry are more active and now swimming below and on top of the water. Many seem to congregate on sides of tubs but come out when egg yolk and MW are introduced. Carefully removed about 1/2 c. water, to remove some of the debris on bottom and added 1/2 of IAL treated water back. Doing well :)
Old 05-16-2013, 04:18 AM   #7 
alunjai

How big is the container and what type of container are you using?

I love the colour on the male. Can't wait to see how the fry turn out. Good luck!

Last edited by alunjai; 05-16-2013 at 04:21 AM.
alunjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #8 
wish4coner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alunjai View Post
How big is the container and what type of container are you using?

I love the colour on the male. Can't wait to see how the fry turn out. Good luck!
Container is a rubbermaid 2 gallon. I wanted to be as close to Thai breeding as possible. It's also very easy to clean. I put bubble wrap over it at first and switch to clear wrap afterwards.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:13 AM   #9 
wish4coner

Day 7-May 18, 2013--Fry are still growing rapidly. Eating MW/BW/WW and eating well. I still can't get a count as, there are well over 50. Fed twice today with worms. They are active and moving about quite a bit.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #10 
Canis

How do you feed them egg yolk? I've heard of a lot of people doing it, but I have no idea how.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote