Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #1 
mpimezon

Help Quick Pls.

Hello Betta-lovers,
this inquiry is going to start off with a regular set of phrase but I think my betta's situation is a quite unique. Here goes:

Symptom: Mr. Darcy is a crown-tail and is currently sitting at the bottom of his tank gasping. His skin doesnt have the shiny luster he used to have at hale. He has been like this for more than 2 weeks and has hardly eaten anything since.

Now here's the unusual part. Despite two weeks of starvation he is quite stocky from head to stomach and is disproportionately dainty after his stomach. He was solely sustained on dried blood worms for the 8 months he was with my friend.
I think hes heavily constipated as I haven't seen him poop for the time he has been with me, and frontal bloating. Please see picture:

Currently I have kept him in a 1 gallon tank (volume wise) with just 1 inch water so he can be close to surface. I do a full water change every 12 hrs to avoid ammonia build up. of course, use the stress coat water conditioner.

I drop a pellet of betta specific food in, but he wont eat even if the pellet is just in front of his mouth waiting to get in if only faintly interested in a bite.

at this juncture, I am thinking I should use Epsom salt to help him relieve. but Im not sure if he will be healthy enough to take that. Also, since he is not eating, is there a water soluble nutrition that he can absorb from water without having to eat it?

Thank you for your help and your response will be greatly appreciated
Attached Images

mpimezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Luckily epsom salt is gentle enough that almost any fish can take it, in proper dosages.

start him on 1 teaspoon per gallon, PREDISSOLVED. Then bring it slowly over the course of 2-3 hours (not to shock him, as he already is in a sad state), up to 3-5 teaspoons. If you gave him a full gallon, it would be better. Along with heating the tank... Warmer the better. 78-80 right now will help. Right now since he is constipated he won't eat because it probably hurts to.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:43 AM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

I completely agree with Sena. I am very familiar with Epsom salt as I have treated internal parasites with my VT and my CT had chronic SBD. It is very mild and can be used for a long time. I have seen it take affect with my CTs issues almost instantly.

As long as it is PREDISSOLVED and added slowly it won't hurt him, and its also not an actual salt. I've used it for months at a time. It would be hard to overdose and impossible to treat with it for too long. It's also used as a laxative in humans and helps live plants :) I love Epsom salt! Lol.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Epsom salt's properties are amazing for almost anything. I have used it for stopping the beginning of bumble foot in it's tracks, in guinea pigs. Used it to gently clean out the severe mouth rot of an iguana. Help clear out constipation and parasites in many bettas. Plus, when my feet hurt, or body aches all over, an epsom salt bath does wonders <3 plus it helps when you are not feeling good as it flushes all the gunk out ^.^
Old 05-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #5 
mpimezon

Thanks folks for your responses. He is still alive and I have put him in epsom salt 1 tsp/gallon. some forum posters elsewhere have suggested to keep him in it for no more than 20 mins and put him back in a salt free water. Other places dont imply anything of that nature.

should I leave him be in there, or should I take him out of it in some time?
please advise.

thanks.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Leave him in there for a week's worth of medication. Taking him out, does not work for SBD (swim bladder disorder). It can cause relapse, and in turn make it a lot harder to treat again.

I do it until the bloat goes away, and his bouyancy is no longer a problem. Then continue for 3-4 days longer, to ensure relapse does not happen.

Water change every day, preferably most of the water and re-add the salt. Get it up to 3 teaspoons predissolved, and it should clear up soon.

Putting a fish into epsom salt, then throwing him back into a salt free tank is not a good idea. You would also have to acclimate if that method was used, to avoid shock.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 05-18-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #7 
mpimezon

ok great. thanks for your immediate reply, my friend. I will keep you all posted.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

What a pretty guy, I sure hope the Espom salt treatments help ! As for something you could add to the water to help him there is this product that you just add to his water that could help. I have never used it before by reading the feedback it sounds great. You could call around and see if any of your local pet or fish shops might have it if you dont want to order it on line.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Boyd-Enterprises-Vita-Chem-Freshwater-oz/dp/B00025YRIO]Amazon.com: Boyd Freshwater Aquarium Vita-Chem 4 oz: Pet Supplies[/ame]
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote