Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #1 
romance00

Question white edging on dark blue fins...it is ok?

i have noticed that the edges of my betta's fins have been growing/changing to white. i'm concerned that there is something wrong, because a few days ago it started as a little white, and now there is more. is this just his fins growing naturally or could there be something wrong? he has no holes in his fins, nothing fuzzy...they look normal and beautiful, it's just the color.

his demeanor is completely normal, eats normally...i'm just worried that the color is changing quickly for a reason that i don't know. this little guy is the first fish i've ever had, i know nothing about them, but ive tried to research anything and everything to make sure that i'm taking care of him as best as possible. he seems to be happy

he is in a 2 gallon tank, 2 ornaments, no gravel/sand, and has a thermometer that stays at 77-79 every day. i live in arizona and during the summer there isn't a need to keep a heater in the tank because it stays warm naturally.

here is a picture...it's not the best, but like everyone else's fish, they're hard to capture when they're staring you down lol.

Name:  fishy.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  23.8 KB

Name:  fishy2.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  54.5 KB

Last edited by romance00; 05-19-2013 at 11:47 AM. Reason: pictures didnt work
romance00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #2 
Canis

Looks like he is marbling, but I could be wrong.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Oh he is a beautiful guy and the white starting to show up doesnt look like anything to worry about. There are so many fins types and colors and some of the marble Bettas change colors all the time. What type of ornaments does he have in his home ?

You just want to make sure nothing is sharp or rough that could rip or tear his beautiful fins, this a good test to go by to make sure, get a pair of nylon pantyhose and rub the ornament against it and if it snags the pantyhose it could snag his fins. Silk plants are great to use in Betta tanks since they are nice and soft, my guy loves the one I have with big leaves in the back of his tank he likes to sleep on it at night.

Is the temp of his water staying stable at night ? If it drops a couple of degrees that should be okay but no more than that. Its best to keep the temp of their water stable as possible but since it gets really hot where you live that may not be a problem but would depend on what you keep the temp in your house at and how much at changes at night.

I enjoyed seeing his pictures. Keep updated on how he is doing and growing and coloring up.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Just to make sure all is well with him you might want to fill out this form and see what some of the other members have to say as well just to be on the safe side, I love my Betta too so I know how you feel and its always better to be safe then to sit there and worry something might be wrong.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #5 
romance00

oh GREAT! thank you so much for your responses...ive been so worried

the only 2 things in his tank are these:

Name:  pPETS-8825935t300x300.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  24.1 KB

Name:  castle.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  35.2 KB

he LOVES the castle and spends a lot of time hanging out in there. i checked for any jagged edges on it while i was cleaning the tank just now and it seems to be ok. i think i'm going to get him some silk plants too so he's got something else to play in.

the water temp stays the same...no more than 2 degrees difference at any time.

do you know what type of betta he is? is there a specific breed/name?

Housing
What size is your tank? [2 gallon]
What temperature is your tank? [76-78 degrees at all times]
Does your tank have a filter? [no]
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? [i keep the lip tilted just a little]
Is your tank heated? [during the winter, yes. during the summer it doesn't need it.]
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? [just decorations :)]

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? [brine shrimp (and please tell me if i shouldn't be doing this anymore. i know i needed to when he was a baby, and tried to switch him over to flakes? he HATES the flakes and won't touch them. ideas??)]
How often do you feed your betta fish? [once a day, in the morning]

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? [once a week, every week]
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? [100%]
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? [the only thing that is added is "BettaSafe"]

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? [i used a pool pH test...but that can't be the most accurate thing lol]

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? [just his coloring...his blue has deepened and he's got the white on the edges of his fins]
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? [not at all...happy as a clam]
When did you start noticing the symptoms? [noticed the white appearing about a week ago]
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? [nope...wanted to see if something was wrong first]
Does your fish have any history of being ill? [not at all]
How old is your fish (approximately)? [brought him home as a teeny tiny guppie back in december...so maybe 5 months old?]
romance00 is offline   Reply With Quote